My first gig in 43 yrs!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Raider Rudy, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy New Friend

Jul 30, 2015
    So Cal
    I appreciated the advice & im practicing as we speak!

2. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    BTW I vividly remember my first Rehearsal on my Comeback - it was a horror story!

Firstly the Concert Band was at a high standard, and had been practicing the music for a time.
    Secondly, I had normal glasses with a variable lens, and found that I could not read the music clearly except at the bi-focal bottom of my glasses; and as I lifted my head, the bell of course would go up and cover the music.

Thirdly, I think I may have only got 1 bar of each Tune right, and these guys did not go back twice, it was like a blurr...

But I went and got some music reading glasses (good for a few metres), and these solved the reading issues, the rest was just practice.

So my advice: Persevere, and don't have any expectations or pressure. We all have to go through that torture - it gets better at the second rehearsal - and by the time you have a performance you'll be cruising.

Oh, and don't forget the Comeback Creed : "The Older we Get, the Better we Were!"

3. Chrisb

Chrisb Pianissimo User

Feb 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I'm about a year and a half into my comeback - I remember clearly the nerves leading up to that first concert band performance. They lasted until about the third bar of the first song and then everything was fine. The most recent performance we had, I had my first (ever) improv solo as part of it (the nerves were back, but made it through). I am quite looking forward to the next performances. Have fun!

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes,
    Our Normal line-up at our Resident gig :
    https://www.facebook.com/WestgateCo...0.1442320573./347243262055414/?type=3&theater

And the Worst ever line-up... an Octet...
    Hide - well that's me in the centre....hiding behind the stand... No Prisoners Taken!!!

The audience was actually pretty good by the time we started - but no-one to take a photo, we were all pretty busy. The Relay for Life was on, and sadly one of our Band members had been taken by Cancer - a lot of support was out walking...
    https://www.facebook.com/WestgateCo...0.1442321001./524097701036635/?type=3&theater

5. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
  6. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    Watch out for the march that ends without a stinger. I learned the hard way.

On the other hand you may have a phrase when the other trumpets aren't playing. If you are sure you have counted right go for it. Don't wait for the 1rst to play.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    As an Army bandsman, the rule was that the stinger was not to be played unless specifically conducted. Sometimes you'd get an advance verbal notice that the stinger was coming, just prior to the march, i.e., "play the stinger," but usually you could tell if the bandmaster was going to conduct it.

8. Raider Rudy

Raider Rudy New Friend

Jul 30, 2015
    So Cal
    I'm not expecting too many surprises. I sat in with em the last 2 weeks without my horn.

9. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    lol

10. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Peter, your group is fixed better for woodwinds than ours. Nice looking group,though;-):oops: