My first in 37 years

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Jul 8, 2013.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    I played in front of my church this morning (300-400 People),Myself, a Trombone, Tenor sax and a piano . I played the 1956 Coprion Bell Director.

We played 10 songs ,Set 1 was Comprised of 5 patriotic songs,and then a congregational sing-along of Battle hymn of the republic.

Set 2 was 5 Songs about the Cross .

We had 4 days to prepare for this ,(That is to say i got the music 3 days before) and only got 2 practices together before show time.

I was so keyed up ,, I only got about 4 hours sleep last night .My lips were a tiny bit swollen from practicing to hard and to long ,and i got the shakes about the second verse of the second song.:shock:

At the end of the first set they threw us a Curve Ball,by asking to do a congregational sing-along with Battle hymn of the republic,I had put that sheet music down on the chair behind me, and when i went to grab that piece i couldn't find it,I totally forgot that my copy had the Title (Mine eyes have seen The glory) !!:-o ,Needless to say the piano started up and I'm left standing in front of the other players with no music ,about 3 bars into the tune i stepped back a little and played over the shoulder of the Tenor sax player :bash:.

Now I know I'm gonna get a lot of good-natured ribbing for this ,BUT i wasn't gonna stand there for 3 verses holding my horn!!!!:think:

Other than that, everything went pretty well ,aside from me almost loosing the buzz on the last notes :play:.

Afterwards i had several people come up to me and thank me ,,,this is the first time in 30 er so years a trumpet has vibrated the walls in my church :noway:.

Everyone seemed to enjoy it ,we even got a standing O after The star spangled Banner :woop: ,however i didn't even notice because i was so focused on the music :duh:.

For the pro Players here I'm sure it's no big deal ,but i now have a great story about my come-back .Also i learned a few things like,,,,don't practice the night before,and just toot the thing :play:.

All-in all it would'nt have been as good as it was without the advice and knowledge I've read here at TM Thanks to all .:worthy:

Dean_0

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Congrats on going to the next step - playing in public. There's nothing like live music...whatever happens, happens. As one of my friends puts it, it is what it is. :D

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    That's a great story! I remember my first Sunday and yes I was nervous. Maybe now that they have tasted the sound of the trumpet, they'll want seconds. My experiences in churches has been everyone loves brass, but those in charge are almost clueless as to how they can/should be used. I say, Use them at FFF !!!ROFL

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This IS a big deal. Well done!

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yes, and they always say, play softer so they can hear the choir. It really is amazing how many choir directors don't understand what they could do with added brass. I agree with you- most are clueless as to how they could or should be used.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    This past Sunday, I was supposed to just play fanfares in a rendition of Faith of Our Fathers in the Baptist Church, which is not the church we usually attend ... so what happens when the keyboardist's family arrives and takes her to the beach on Saturday not to return until late Sunday and only 3 of the 7 choir members will be present ... all music is cancelled for the service. Well, I wasn't feeling so swift myself Sunday morning and we didn't attend our own church as has a new minister. Well, lets see what consequences will occur as I go to Wake-Med hospital in Raleigh tomorrow. I've put the word out that all my engagements are suspended until it is known that I can perform. No action needed, I don't have any other engagements on my book now.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Best wishes, Ed. Hope everything turns out all right. I was just in Raleigh and Cary over the long July 4 weekend to visit family.

8. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Sry to hear that Ed i hope your back on your feet very soon ,your in my prayers .

Today a bit of perspective is starting to creep in ,and you know? I'm even more pleased with myself ,that i went ahead with it,and starting to look forward to the next time :D.that's a new thing for me.

All day I've been thinking about Easter time and how the song ,He is risen ,would sound on the last verse, i would let it rip !:woop:.

Anyway thanks to you guys for your support it means a lot :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy:

Dean_0

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know what you mean. I've been trying for years to have Kingtrumpet's director to have KT play Long Ago and Far Away.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

I said this a few years ago about our music ministry and it's still true today, TRUMPETS RULE!!! Nobody misses the flute player, guitar player or piano player on any given Sunday, but let the trumpets be on vacation the same week??? MAN, WE MISSED YOU GUYS LAST WEEK!!! Been that way for 7 years and I LOVE IT!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]