My first lip trill :)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Jul 5, 2011.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Today I lip trilled for the first time. It's just this kind of feeling that let me know I should be playing this horn. Range hasn't really increased, so I haven't had many tangible results of my practice that make me go "oh wow, I am stepping forward in my playing" besides the increased endurance. I mean, it's summer time and I am making steps forward, it feels great. It probably just sounds silly, but dang, I love the feeling of progression :-)

2. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Nothing silly about it - that's what it's all about! Congratulations - keep playing, it only gets better!

3. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    Thanks pak! :) I see you got a Taylor there. How you like those things man?

coolerdave likes this.
  4. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    lip trills are very cool!
    congrats

5. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    flexibility feels great! It's a neat little trick, but the fact that my face is strengthening is fantastic. It's that thing that makes trumpet crazy. Three valves and all the notes, and after 6 years of playing, I finally feel like I am reigning this stud of a horn in. Phew.

6. PakWaan

PakWaan Piano User

Apr 4, 2010
    Orlando, FL
    Love it. Best horn I've ever played. I'm still adding to my collection because I enjoy trying all the horns I couldn't afford before, but eventually I'll sell all of them except for the 2-3 finalists. The Taylor is at the top of the list so far.

7. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    I may have to try one in the future. What kinda music do you play? You a lead guy or a combo guy? (or one of the many other jobs lol)

8. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Congrats on the lip trill...its a very advanced and useful embellishment.

I, myself, cannot lip trill- that is unless I'm playing a solo up high and sort of miss a note, then for some reason I'm able to instinctively lip trill! I can also lip trill when I'm really wailing and not thinking about it-- In other words, I cannot lip trill on purpose! Its weird!

But to be able to keep it in your tool box will always be handy!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  9. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    That is weird! hahaha, I watched plenty of vids about lip trills when I was younger, but you know what I have been doing differently? 1) I have extended my thumb out along the lead pipe instead of cramped between the 1st and 2nd valve, I saw one of my favorite players doing it so I stole it ;) and 2) Listening to satchmo nearly exclusively, trying to get into his sound. How crazy is that?? Satch does his little trills all the time and since I have been trying to emulate his sound, I realized that I can :) Been transcribing the second half of his solo from potato head blues. What I guy. I love his voice and charisma and style. What a guy.

10. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Lip trills are a great technique to have in your bag of tricks. Being able to do this easily - at all dynamic levels and all octaves - is a worthwhile skill to develop.

Good luck!