My first payed gig!!!!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by scream machine, Apr 28, 2006.

1. scream machine

scream machine Pianissimo User

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    YES!! It was a taps gig and all I got payed was 10 bucks. Even tho I did'nt get payed a lot, it was a rewarding expence. But it have one question, does this mean I am a tec. pro. now? :woop:

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Congrats, Screamer.

That's how much I got for my first job, 10 bucks but then, that was back in 1972!

Well, I think you asked the pro question with tongue in cheek but I'm sure you've figured out by now it takes more than a paycheck to establish you as a pro.

Anyway, congrats again,

ML

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I just had my first paying gig on Easter. It's a great feeling knowing that you just got payed for doing something you love to do anyway.

4. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Excellent!!!! :-) I joined BAA a couple days ago. Even if I never get called to perform taps...it is a good feeling knowing I am on the list. Did you use your Getzen bugle, or one of your other horns???

5. scream machine

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    I used my Jupter Trbune Xo trumpet. I did'nt use the bugle because it play's a little flat.

6. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    You go kid!!! :D
    I got a fist full of change on my first gig........so did a couple of jazz legends.
    Tootie Heath and Bobby Timmons. We were in Junior High School. Ted Curson was also on that gig :cool:
    Wilmer

7. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Congratulations on your first "paid" gig.

8. Paul Tomashefsky

Paul Tomashefsky New Friend

Apr 24, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    Congratulations!

Doesn't it feel great to actually get paid for something you enjoy doing?!!

And a Taps gig at that.... I'm sure you made everyone proud!

My first gig was a Church musical gig...I got it from my junior high band director...Me and my best friend (Drummer) He wound up pursuing a career in banking... I'm now a full time Elementary Band director / Trumpet Performer / Author (ITG, DownBeat) / Dad / etc...

My main gigs now are with a Rhythm n Blues Band and doing Trumpet & organ work... Big Bucks during the Holidays (Christmas / Easter!) My other Top paying gigs were with a group called Quintessential Brass out of Boston 1987-1995 we toured all over New England... Fun Gig excellent music and players___ Good Luck and keep up the good work!

9. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    COngrats on that pay gig -- now that you will have to join the union, and pay taxes on your gig money you are only several hundred $$$ in the hole! :-?

We play funerals all the time. The joke around our house is that my wife is so good that people die to hear her sing!

By the way -- now that you have done it once you will get calls to do it again. The money is great but I have a personal rule (for myself) that I suggest to my friends. If the funeral is for a policeman, fireman, or member of our armed services I play the funeral for free. I was never in the service so that is my way of saying thanks to that person for what he did for me. I feel the same way about fireman and policeman. Just a suggestion.

10. scream machine

Mar 26, 2006
    Woodland, AL
    A first I was not going to get payed, but after it the lady can up a gave me the 10 bucks for it. (Nice suprise)