My First Post on TM: Intro

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Dr. Stu, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Dr. Stu

Dr. Stu New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    This is my first post here on TM, I have just joined here from the other site, which I still like, but it seems a bit more respectful here.

I'm an amateur, comeback player, about 15 months into my comeback after playing (alot) from 8 yrs old, all the way through Grad school & beyond, (a total of about 18 years), before putting the horn down... for about 17 years. :(

I always played lead, always the youngest in my chair/position (in school), though I can't improvise to save my life, and I used to be told I had some "chops". I played in stage bands, show bands (in school & in some summer productions) school orchestras, jazz ensembles, marching band, pep/rally bands, etc., so, I used to be able to play and sometimes feel I can give advice about some things, though I have never played a note as a professional.

I still practice on my own (yes, I know I need a good teacher), I was lucky enough that my music/band directors from 3rd grade through H.S. were all trumpet players, & I "took private" until I started college and made the mistake of stopping private lessons freshman year because I didn't feel I had enough time to put into practicing (which, in fact, I probably actually didn't).

I have a couple of nice horns, which I love, know a bit about equipment & vintage stuff, especially Olds' and Bach's and only try to give advice when I think I have a clue myself.

Looking forward to a nice stay here, (though I sometimes don't have alot of time to post (today is not one of those times :D ).

-Stu

2. tooslick

tooslick New Friend

May 22, 2004
    Welcome! I'm fairly new to this site myself but have found it to be friendly, informative and more civil than the other site. :-P

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Welcome aboard, Dr. Stu. There are some great, great players here and lots of good advice. We have lots of fun here, too. You're in for a good ride.

4. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    Welcome! Hope you enjoy TM. Like many others I find this site much more civil compared to TH. Hope to see you around.

Chris

5. Bluej

Bluej New Friend

Mar 2, 2007
    New Orleans, Chicago
    Hello all,
    I'm new to the TM forum and already I need your help. I played since 4th grade, but due to braces, I quit my freshman year of high school. I've regretted it ever since.
    Any way, I just got back from New Orleans. They just love brass down there. Its all trumpet and trombone. It got me thinking and I think I have the bug again...so I'm shopping for a good old trumpet, something 'vintage', but playable. Here's where the help part comes in:
    Can anyone tell me about the Paris Selmer B700. I think the serial number is 71180. Knowledgeable opinions on the horn would be much appreciated. It will definitely be a multi-purpose horn, at least for a while. I play Jazz, Blues and Dixieland...basicly, everything.
    Also, what do you all recommend in a good mouthpiece?
    Thanks and glad to join the forum, Bluej

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Welcome Dr.Stu!

(I think low d [fingered 13 with some slide]is called Ray on the Selmer Paris. :cool:
    Welcome to TM, BlueJ!)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  7. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Stu,

Welcome to Trumpet Master! Hope you enjoy it, and the comeback keeps rolling along.

Happy Practicing,

Richard Oliver

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Welcome Stu,

Glad you found us!

9. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Hey Guys!

Dr. Stu started this post in SEPTEMBER 2005

BlueJ.........

Go to Intros and Greetings and start one for yourself!

And Welcome BlueJ

-cw-

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  10. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Welcome! Get a teacher! I am also a comeback player, though not as experienced as you and certainly w/o the "chops" yet, although I am making progress thanks to my teacher. I can improvise endlessly however, thanks to many years of doing so on the piano and guitar. My classically trained sisters and girlfriend all are impressed by my ability to do so - and I with their technique!