My First Post on TM: My Intro.

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Dr. Stu, Sep 24, 2005.

1. Dr. Stu

Dr. Stu New Friend

Sep 24, 2005
    New York, NY
    This is my first post here on TM, I have just joined here from the other site, which I still like, but it seems a bit more respectful here.

I'm an amateur, comeback player, about 15 months into my comeback after playing (alot) from 8 yrs old, all the way through Grad school & beyond, (a total of about 18 years), before putting the horn down... for about 17 years. :(

I always played lead, always the youngest in my chair/position (in school), though I can't improvise to save my life, and I used to be told I had some "chops". I played in stage bands, show bands (in school & in some summer productions) school orchestras, jazz ensembles, marching band, pep/rally bands, etc., so, I used to be able to play and sometimes feel I can give advice about some things, though I have never played a note as a professional.

I still practice on my own (yes, I know I need a good teacher), I was lucky enough that my music/band directors from 3rd grade through H.S. were all trumpet players, & I "took private" until I started college and made the mistake of stopping private lessons freshman year because I didn't feel I had enough time to put into practicing (which, in fact, I probably actually didn't).

I have a couple of nice horns, which I love, know a bit about equipment & vintage stuff, especially Olds' and Bach's and only try to give advice when I think I have a clue myself.

Looking forward to a nice stay here, (though I sometimes don't have alot of time to post (today is not one of those times Very Happy ).

-Stu

p.s. I inadvertantly posted this in the vintage horns/cornets forum, so I reposted it here.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Stu, welcome aboard! We're glad to have you! :-)

Alright then - it sounds like you had a good foundation to build back up to. It's going to be fun reading your posts about the comeback trail - my guess is that you are going to find yourself gigging before you know it! :D

3. Chris4

Chris4 Pianissimo User

Jul 16, 2005
    Welcome! :D I think you'll like the peaceful atmosphere here. Hope to see you around.

Chris

4. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Welcome aboard Stu,

Seems like we started back at about the same time. Glad to have you on board, and like everyone else will be looking forward to your posts.

Again, congrats on your comeback, and joining us.

Gary

5. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Welcome,

A little bit of advice and you’ll be fine.
    This is a “FRIENDLY PLACEâ€, so don’t go around getting people upset with you. If you have an opinion about something, keep it to yourself. (we really don’t want to hear it, it may be, and probably IS different than ours)

Do NOT say anything bad about ANY Moderator. Even though they cannot stand each other, they will band together to protect the name of Moderator.

Do NOT say ANYTHING disparaging about Monette, Schilke, Bach, or Eclipse.

There are no other trumpets worth mentioning, so don’t bother liking any other trumpet.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING THAT DISAGREES WITH A CERTAIN PR KARATE EXPERT WHO DRIVES A BIG BLACK GERMAN FREEWAY SHARK!!

Do NOT post about religion

Do NOT post about politics

Do NOT post about saxophones

Do NOT post about oral hygiene

Do NOT mess with the OLD WISE ONE.

Do NOT post ANYTHING bad about Louis Armstrong!

Remember that there are only 3 types of mouthpiece users;
    Those who use Monette
    Those who use a Bach 3C or larger and
    All others, who are MORONS……PERIOD

Post your thread in ONE PLACE ONLY! The moderators are very jealous of each other and believe that only their advice is the best, so they get real mad if you post the same question or comment in another area. ( They ARE allowed to move your post to a different spot if they think it is not worthy of their attention)

Remember the ALAMO!

Be sure to post in every poll you can find.
    (it is very important to the marketing guys to know who is better: Maynard or Herb Alpert)
    (( who dressed better? Mozart or Bach? is a personal favorite!))

Have fun and enjoy the site.
    If you find you cannot abide by the aforementioned rules,
    You’ll fit right in.

-cw-

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    .....All right! all right!!
    .....sorry man!
    .....Boy, what a nasty PM!!!

Do NOT forget to visit Ed Carroll's spot, EC Downloading.

.....OK?.....I hope you're happy!

-cw-

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Chuck, you are too funny sometimes! :lol:

Well, I'm glad that I own a Schilke, but I guess I'm a moron for using a Schilke mouthpiece! :shock:

I love it!!!!!! :-P

8. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    KC MO
    Shhh, Chuck... you're giving all the secrets out. Now I'm going to have to storm off this site to like an arrogant jerk. :bleah: :bleah: :bleah: :bleah: :bleah: :lol:

JK, it was a great post!
    -T

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    A) VERY TRUE
    B) We aren't sure about this one.. nobody has ever posted negative comments about moderators...they're afraid to. Well, actually one guy did but he got banned for life.
    C) You could possibly leave Monette and Bach off that list. Except then you'd be violating the one about the guy who now drives a Freeway Shark. So leave Monette on the list. Oh... and if you disparage Bach you'd be violating the rule about the Old Wise One. So leave it on the list too. Come to think of it, "C" is just fine as is.
    D) The list of sub-rules is cool too. Except the bit about mouthpieces. It's OK to use a different mouthpiece. GR springs to mind immediately.
    E) You actually don't have to vote in a poll. Just make sure you have some witty comment to make.
    F) Points are deducted if you mention a certain brand of horn that starts with "Z" (and it isn't a horn named after Bobby Shew).

10. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    And no talkin' about my mama... she plays a Monette, too.

ML