My First Star Spangled Banner (gulp)...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bilboinsa, Dec 1, 2007.

1. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    ...will be in front of 19,000 people. Be careful what you wish for...

Well now I've gone and done it. Next Wednesday I am playing the national anthem solo at the Spurs v. Mavs game. The initial jitters have receded, but I'm sure they'll come back Wednesday.

Can anyone else share their first time playing the anthem at a major event? I am tempted to bring a flask just in case!

And, no, I will not be taking it up to a high C on my first time...I am keeping it just as F.Scott Key wrote it.

Also, my idol in this regard is the late great Tommy Loy. Does anyone have a link or a clip of him playing? Searches on youtube and here netted me nothing. I thought his daughter had posted here recently, but again, a search for "loy" gave me zero results.

Thanks so much.

2. patdublc

patdublc Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Let us know how it goes. Have fun and enjoy making the music. Forget the gear/technique stuff and just play.

3. Happy Canuck

Happy Canuck Piano User

Oct 31, 2003
    Toronto, ON Canada
  4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
  5. Patric_Bernard

Patric_Bernard Forte User

Oct 25, 2007
    California
    Hah... at least my first time was in high school, not by myself, but I had the maid melody, and You could pretty much only hear me since the other kids didn't play... at all. I had alot of solo lines with a high C fanfare type call. Its the version that Fresno State does.

Yeah man, just play. You know you can, so just do it.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Good luck, man!

7. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    Good luck and many congrats on getting to play for such an event. Give it your best.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I played solo for a fair number of PAC-10 events and never missed a note (not bad for a guy that can frack g's below the staff). The key to making it work was the tremendous synergy involved--everyone is singing along, and it is our job to accompany a 19,000 strong amateur choir. Listen to the crowd, meld musically with them, and enjoy.
    Have fun!

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    What horn and mouthpiece will you use? ;-)

Do not forget to take a deep breath. Your breathing habits can soothe the nervous soul too!

10. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Direct link to Jens