My First Star Spangled Banner (gulp)...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by bilboinsa, Dec 1, 2007.

1. administrator

administrator Administrator Staff Member

Jun 27, 2006
    Vizzutti and DiMartino with the UCLA Band

2. Jude

Jude Piano User

Dec 2, 2007
    There are some great versions of the Star Spangled Banner out there, but the one sung at the Red Sox game on June 30 may be what you need to keep in mind right now. They brought in a "specially enabled" singer for that game, and he began to break up after making a start. Some of the people in the real-time online chat (at RedSoxNation.net) thought the fans started to laugh, but they weren't laughing:

Response 1: "They ****in' sang along with him when he started to break down. No one laughed, they picked him up, you idiot."

Response 2: "Everybody sings along. The camera showed a different story to me.

Sox 2 zip."

My son told me about it - there's supposed to be a video somewhere, probably at the Portal of Evil. The singer calmed down and ended up singing along with the audience: they all ended up together.

Go Sox.

3. derekkress

derekkress Pianissimo User

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal Qc Canada
    I think he was just wanting to show how proud we are of our canuck(Jens) playing your anthem!Good luck, blow your heart out!

4. moketrumpet

moketrumpet New Friend

Oct 28, 2005
    Played for the Phoenix Sun's Game last Jan. 9th with a Kanstul C Herald trumpet w/banner. This group is called the Magnificent 7. You'll notice Derek Reaban (using his Monette C) and Rogerio, I'm sure.
    Video: http://www.motionbox.com/video/player/1f94d7b41a1a92/3aeacc54b8b21641?type=basic
    This year, will play a special piccolo trumpet arrangement with the Magnificent 7 on Sunday, Feb. 10th for the Phoenix Sun's.

All our best to you. Breath, plant your feet and play.
    Bis dann,
    Timothy Moke

5. confuoco

confuoco Pianissimo User

Nov 11, 2007
    :-o wow

6. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    Relax keep control of your breathing. Remember these 2 things:
    1. No one in the stands can do a better job than what you're doing (as far as you know). And most people will likely not notice a mistake, they'll just think it's some funky jazz thing that they don't understand.
    2. You don't have to worry about forgetting the lyrics!

Focus on the positive aspects of performing in front of an NBA crowd. Those people in the stands go nuts at the end of the anthem.. They want to cheer you on. They paid a lot of money to cheer and have fun, they're not music critics.

Just relax, play and have fun. Who knows there will probably be more than 1 kid in the audience who hears you and says "I want to do that someday". A friend of mine said her 3rd grade son decided he wants to learn trumpet after going to an Ohio State football game. Inspiration is a powerful thing.

Enjoy.

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    One thing to keep in mind, after our Monette Bugle thread, is that we are the messengers, not the message--our National Anthem is not the Carnival of Venice; for some occasions, actually playing what is written is the right thing to do.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    no rockets red glare here

9. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Wow. Great sound. :-)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  10. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    one thing to remember - you are the leader keep your tempo - I know a person that played for a high basket ball game and started to listen to the crowd and went slower and slower trying play along with their singing. I errr, that person thought that he would never get to the end of the Banner. Dave