My First Student

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by TisEkard, Jun 18, 2007.

1. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    I am about to start teaching my first student. He will be picking up the trumpet for the first time. I would like to know what everyone thinks I should teach first. Seems like there is so much I could start with. Should I have him get books etc. Thanks!

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    One of the best things you can do is play for him or her. Chances are the sound they will be making won't be the most pleasant thing to listen to, so it's important to expose them, visually and aurally, to what good trumpet playing is all about.

-Jimi

3. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Tough question ! When I started with my first student, I just covered the basics of the horn. (Sax) We talked about how a MPC works, how to hold it, and we played a couple of notes. Mostly I let him hold it through the entire lesson, and we talked about what it takes to improve. I played for him, and let him know that I started out just like him, and everyone else does, and it is possible to play like you hope you will, by just making small improvements on a regular basis.(Try not to say everyday, or everytime. I did, and I now say something more obtainable,like "on a regular basis".) Try to end on a positive, and don't make it too long or boring. I believe by keeping it shorter, they are more excited about coming back. In the end, I find most students are excited about being there, and are eager to start playing. That goes a long way in making the first lesson start on the right note. I don't talk bout books, scales, practicing..., until later. Make it fun, and have fun yourself !

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The most important lesson for ANY wind player is a full relaxed breath. That is the source of everything good about anybodies playing.
    Teach them to fill up and you will have much less work on all the other aspects!
    I have 2 girls 8 and 9 years old that started 8 weeks ago. They can play cleanly, repeatably and in musical context from low f# to high g on top of the staff/double tongue 16ths at metronome mark 120/ C, F, G, D and Bb major scales. We have a new song every week, so the repertory is also being built.
    Without that big breath, little or none of this would have been possible!

5. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
  6. TisEkard

TisEkard Pianissimo User

Jul 28, 2006
    L.A./Orange County CA
    Thanks for all of the tips

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If at all possible, have them hold and play the trumpet for the first time under your supervision. Place the mouthpiece on their lips for them the first time, show them how to breathe/blow so that good playing habits are imprinted from the first note on. Muscle memory is pretty powerful!

8. Phil Rinaldi

Phil Rinaldi New Friend

Jan 15, 2007
    Garwood, NJ
    Make it FUN!

Play for him.

Make it FUN!

Make it seem easy (I start a lot of kids on a C# or G#).

Make it FUN!

Play CDs ofr GREAT artists for him. Sound conception from the begining is so important.

Make it FUN!

9. OdieLopez3

OdieLopez3 New Friend

Jan 21, 2007
    Remember music is fun and its something young students want to do when they walk in the room, so being positive for the most part for him/her to also practice at home. Never be negative and once you get him/her started it wont be pleasant hearing the sounds coming out of the horn but it sure is going to be fun teaching someone from your knowledge as a musician.

10. tromj

tromj Piano User

Jun 4, 2005
    Teaneck, NJ
    I agree with the person who said make it seem easy. My teaching partner and friend, Sandy Coffin showed me a way of introducing chromatic scales right away by teaching all seven positions and having the kids play down off their first open note. They get conditioned not to be intimidated by different fingerings.

Jordan