My First Two Paying Gigs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by afp, Jan 1, 2014.

1. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    Congrats! I had a few pay gigs out of HS, then Uncle Sam payed me for three years to play. This past fall was my first comeback pay gig, $150 for a church gig w a quintet.

2. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Nice! I really appreciate it when given an decent wage for quality work. My group plays a few 'tips' gigs for friends or special projects throughout the year, but most places we play monthly pay us and feed us. In Cincinnati our 4 piece-group = $200 Minimum for 2-3 hours + food/drink or $400 for wedding cocktail hour or special events. We are getting more and more popular too, so I also expect to make more $. Some make more, but for a non-pro I'm happy with it. Would do it for free, because I love to play and am so happy to get to do so, but when they are willing to pay, who wouldn't want that?! Cha-ching!

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I've been a pro for 2 years (starting my 3rd year next week) --- our community band pays 1 free meal at the annual banquet, and free ice cream after each of the summer concerts ---- since we pay NO DUES of any kind --- I think these payments can only lead me to the conclusion that I'm in a professional community band!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL