My Friend bought a new....

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trickg, Dec 22, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    A good friend of mine from my Army band days contacted me a week or so ago. He got out of the Army about two years prior to my leaving in 1999, and has been working as a technical consultant doing load testing of computer systems, and has done quite well for himself.

To make a long story short, he hasn't played since he left the Army, really missed it and wanted a new trumpet. Did I mention that he has done well for himself?

So, we chatted over the phone, and I put together a list of horns that I thought were worth looking at based on what he said he was looking for; he specifically said he wanted a commerical/lead jazz kind of sound. I emailed him with a basic rundown of some horns based on things I have either read here or on TH, or experienced for myself that I thought would help him reach his intended target.

He bought a lightweight Stomvi/Bob Reeves V-Raptor.

Just like that, he called and ordered one. Keep in mind, this is the same guy who has put a considerable chunk into customizations of his Mercedes Benz sportscar in the last year, so popping a couple of grand for a new horn like that really isn't that big of a deal for him.

I just hope he likes it. He really wanted my opinion, but at the same time, based on what I had said and what he had read, he had already made up his mind about the V-Raptor and was hoping that I would give my "blessing" so to speak, for him to purchase it.

Not having played one myself, I couldn't really give him much info other than it seems to review very well with those who have played them, and by all reports, it has the brilliant open sound he's looking for. This is a guy who likes to hot rod pretty much everying - his computers are all racked out, screaming, fine tuned machines, he has high end home electronics, and he has hot rodded his Mercedes - the V-Raptor is a trumpet that is already fully hot-rodded out of the shop, and I think he wants to play a horn that he has confidence is already fine tuned for the highest possible performance.

I just thought I would share this - I'm not completely sure why! :D

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Patrick, he made a good choice. I tried the standard one in silver and thought it was too tight. But Jim Manley told me the lightweight version feels more open and really sizzles. But it has great projection and core too. I am trying to decide between the lightweight Raptor and the new Yamaha Bergeron when it comes out. I am happy with my "legit" horns...Just looking for something different for lead work.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I figured that it would be hard to go wrong with that trumpet for what he wants out of it - after all, Bob has been the mouthpiece guru and horn tweaker at one time or another for some major names in the commercial trumpeting world and it's not too big of a stretch to think that the V-Raptor is a great trumpet.

Heck, when you really think about it, are ANY of the handmade, custom horns that are in that price range bad? At that level, doesn't it pretty much come down to preference regarding the tiny details?

He'll get it in about 6 weeks and he's doing mouthpiece research now. I told him that if he really wanted it to be the best deal for him as a player, that he should either find a Bob Reeves mouthpiece that he likes, or find a mouthpiece that he likes, and either have it adjusted by Reeves for the horn, or have it cut for sleeves so that he can dial in the gap himself. I don't know which is the better of the two options.