My 'Frown'

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NYCO10, Sep 22, 2010.

1. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi guys, i was told by my band director that i have a 'frown embouchure', he said i 'frown' to make compression (corners of mouth go down) and I was wondering wether this is correct embouchure technique?? i have seen no other players with this style of playing!:play:

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    Does your chin go up also? Phil Smith of the NY Phil plays like that I believe. I think that it is better than a "smile or stretch embouchure"

3. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    My chin (without me thinking) doesnt go up, but if i think about it, it does (if you get my gist!):-)

4. Bay Area Brass

Bay Area Brass Piano User

Mar 2, 2007
    San Francisco
    Eddie Henderson also plays with this type of embouchure- it certainly works for him :) If it isn't causing any issues I wouldn't worry about it. If it ain't broke.....

5. NYCO10

NYCO10 Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2010
    United Kingdom
    Hi, the only issues (may not be issues) is that my tone is 'thin' in the upper register, B+. And also a possible pressure problem:-?

6. Moshe Mizrachi

Moshe Mizrachi Pianissimo User

Feb 17, 2010
    A "frown" embouchure is the correct embouchure.

It simply means that the corners of the mouth turn downward the way they should as the muscles contract for upper register.

On the other hand...
    It is the infamous "smile" stretching embouchure which is extremely bad.

Note the frown on Wayne Bergeron...

Wayne bergeron photo image by subsetm on Photobucket

And the frown on Lin Biviano near the bottom of the page at...

Google Image Result for http://www.billsargent.com/images/08-10-06%20DFJ/Tom%20Netherton%20&%20Lin%20Biviano.jpg

If you have thin tone and / or pressure problems, they are not caused by the frown embouchure, but are problems that should be addressed separately.
    The frown embouchure is a correct embouchure.
    Although you should not over-do it and clamp down the corners of the mouth with too much strain.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    --------
    Hi NYCO10,
    Many people play quite well with this type of embrochure.

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    That Bergeron pic if just what mine looks like. A frown, and my chin gets a bit more "pointy"

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you're really bothered play sad, or puzzling, scores.ROFL

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The corners going down stretch the upper lip. This is similar to what happens to the upper lip when "smiling".

A frown is only good when what comes out of the bell is good. Labels for isolated factors does not really describe anything. Wayne Bergeron or Lin Biviano do not attribute their success to a "frown". Their success comes from incredible synergy between their minds, ears, breathing AND face muscles. That reached this state through incredible devotion and learning WHAT and WHEN to practice.

Your teacher telling you that you frown when playing must have been coupled with the reason that they said it. Did you miss that part?