My "Gem of a find" 1965 Brand New Strad Cornet ALL

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by 65Strad, Aug 28, 2005.

1. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    I bought a brand new, never sold 1965 Strad Cornet 37 bell in lacquer, SN #. 30,836 on EBAY. This is the first year I believe that Elkhart was in operation since leaving the Mt Vernon location. The sellers family has owned a music store since 1889 in Akron Ohio. The shop has been inactive for 20 years or so.They located this and a Strad trumpet several years ago in a storage area in the shop and they are frozen in time! The 3rd valve slide stop is in the reverse position from the current style. Case original, serial numbers on each valve the keys are in the small envelope and the flap is still stapled. Case is plush blue velvet, with the old emblem inside the case and outside, craftsman building a horn. No scratch, no dents, not marred, the case is also absolutely pristine and brand new. The original warranty card is in the case. Absolutely perfect and brand new although 40 years old!

I always hoped to find one like it. I did buy one on e Bay two years ago and it is fine and plays real well but nothing like this one. So finding this was a true once in a lifetime freak thing. A brand new unused 40 year old Strad. It also has a very short valve throw and the transition incredibly well. Slot pitch and ease of playing cannot be overstated.

I'll never sell it. I still cant get over it. Below are two photo galleries. I hope I didnt bore anyone, Im just super excited that I have it.

Photo gallery1. :http://www.boat-world.com/boatads/714594350.html

Photo gallery 2. :[b][url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBay...=7335651020&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1[/b]

Comments,

2. upoils

upoils Pianissimo User

Aug 1, 2005
    Philomath, Oregon
    The rare find

Wow! You sure found a gem -- congrats! I remember seeing a bach strad Mt Vernon cornet in a pawn shop in San Francisco when I was in high school (many moons ago). It was going for $50 but of course I had no money as a kid. I still remember how sweet it looked in the shop and still kick myself after all these years!

3. trompi

trompi New Friend

Aug 20, 2005
    SP
    looks great... this is real New Old Stock.

Congrats ;)

4. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    how come it is always the other guy who finds the 69 Z28 with only 10,000 miles on it, the Buick Regal owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church on Sunday, the 65 Strad that had never been sold. why is it never ME? just kidding, have fun fun with your new found treasure you lucky dog. old geezer Dave :-?

5. dwhass

dwhass New Friend

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I think you got scammed....brand new?....1965?.....Bach?....so that you don't feel so bad I'll take it off your hands for let's say 100 bucks. Just ship it over to me anytime. hehehehe....

Congrats on getting such a great find. Some guys have all the luck.

6. 65Strad

65Strad Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2005
    Toms River, New Jersey
    luck

Believe me dwhass, I have been long overdue for some better luck and I suppose my one chip was just cashed in.

Thanks for everyones good words.

Tom