My God, what joy!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ryan in Texas, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Ryan in Texas

Ryan in Texas Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2015
    San Antonio
    A simple confession: Sometimes, when I watch someone playing at the pinnacle of what the trumpet is for music, I am moved to tears. True story. Am I the only one?

2. jwmrks

jwmrks New Friend

Aug 14, 2015
    I've never been moved to tears just for quality playing, but depending on the background behind the playing, the better the playing makes the moment all the more poignant. The most I've ever been moved was playing the music at that moment. I only hope that my charged emotions added to the music rather than caused a lapse in my technique. (For me it was hyper intense. Nobody said anything bad afterward, so I only hope they weren't just being nice.)

It's not easy playing a trombone with tears and a snotty nose. I've found the Piano and Guitar much easier, at least technically, when 'emotionally charged'. ;-)

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Our orchestra's 2nd Trombonist had cancer. After a performance of Death and Transfiguration he was in tears. Concerned, I invited him out for a beer, and asked him why he was crying. "The choral played by the trumpets was so beautiful."

I've never cried while playing, but have come close while playing the third movement of the Hindemith Sonata.

4. jwmrks

jwmrks New Friend

Aug 14, 2015
    Maybe I'm just being sentimental over my own post, but stories like this are the reason I fell absolutely soo strong about music (of any kind) being one of the basics of life. You get a particular bit of music related with an experience and they stay with you. Good or Bad they always seem to bring out that visceral feeling at the time they imprint on you. Dang, I don't even have to hear the music to tear up at the memories.

Thanks a lot 'Ryan in Texas', I was having a perfectly emotionless day until now.

Vulgano Brother, don't think I've forgotten your part in this either. LOL

5. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    I know it isn't trumpet, but I used to enjoy the song "The days of Wine and Roses", then I saw the movie, now I can't watch the movie or listen to the song, the end of the movie was just too powerful for me, I have daughters and granddaughters, and I can't imagine giving them up for a drink.

The ending of "Madam Butterfly" got to me the same way.

6. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The end of Götterdämmerung usually does it for me.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The first time Wynton Marsalis played Haydn's Trumpet Concerto on TV in the '80's did it for me.

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Heck no!! That's what music is all about. Has happened to me countless times. Some pieces work better than others. Maurice Andre's rendition of the Marcello's concerto is almost always a win, especially the 2nd and 3rd movements, but most of his trumpet and organ music does that to me too. Bach's organ music also gives me that a lot, especially the passacaglia and fugue in C minor. Rodrigo's concerto de Aranjuez is a hit too. Sometimes I'll listen to one piece a lot just to recall that reaction again and again, as with Bizet's Nadir aria from the "The Pearlfishers." Some pieces give something even bigger, like the 'Dies Irae" of Mozart's Requiem. Music is the ultimate language.

9. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Well, my own playing has about brought tears to my eyes at times, but not for sounding good. Seriously though, hearing a fabulous player or chart is sometimes very, very euphoric to me. I can remember several times right after college hearing a chart or player would actually give me a PVC spell. Happened several times. Quicly realized I had to better control my excitement in such situations. Know nothing about drugs, but imagine it must be a similar feeling. My own thought is why would anyone need drugs when we have the horn.

10. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    My playing has frequently brought others to tears, just before they chase me down the road...

More seriously, yes. If music be the food of emotion, play on. Cry on.
    Bits of the Big Band Prom shown on BBC last night were really moving.