My God, what joy!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ryan in Texas, Aug 28, 2015.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I've never cried when playing, except possibly out of pure rage and frustration.

Anytime I experience the power of a full symphony orchestra in concert, my chest gets all tight, I get a lump in my throat, and I can't articulate for a few minutes. Same thing happens almost anytime I hear the National Anthem played live. We go to the Ft. Worth Rodeo almost every year, and when the band hits the first notes of The Star Spangled Banner, I inevitably tear up.

There are also certain pieces of music that affect me that way, especially if I haven't heard them in a while.

2. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    As a listener, the last movement of Mahler 2 will do it every time.

3. Kevin Whiting

Kevin Whiting Piano User

Apr 13, 2013
    Greendale, WI.
    Chris Botti in his 2008 Boston Concert. "Time To Say Goodbye". Full orchestra, Chris and that unbelievable tone!

I do tear up sometimes when listening to great music. That's when I know it is great!

Kevin

4. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    I have experienced similar feelings, mostly while singing in a very good choir, accompanied by a professional orchestra. Occasionally also in the concert band, as we constantly get better and better.

It is a bit of a problem when these feelings come when you are the performer. Entrances get missed that way...

Mahler 2...yes, bought a special mouthpiece for the second trumpet part on that one...

But the most difficult time came when performing Echoes of Children, a cantata taken from the writings found on the walls of concentration camps in WWII. Heavy stuff, to be sure, but with so many rehearsals we acclimated to it. Then came the performance, at the Jewish Center, a premiere........all of a sudden we noticed that the front row of the audience was wearing paper cutout gold Jewish stars. Our throats started closing up, and getting dry....by some miracle we managed to recover, and concentrate, and do a good job for these survivors...

5. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Heck no. For me, it's not usually a solo trumpeter but a group of musicians. The genre doesn't matter. I probably would not make music if there wasn't an emotional attachment to it. For me music is so powerful, it is a healing experience, as well. Although the lyrics are not Keats and the music Lennon/McCarty, the following lyrics to John Miles' song "Music", have reflected how life-giving it is to me.

Music was my first love and it will be my last.
    Music of the future and music of the past.

To live without my music would be impossible to do.
    In this world of troubles, my music pulls me through.

6. Spideriffic

Spideriffic New Friend

Aug 16, 2009
    Plainview, NY
    No one trumpet performer slayed me more than the great Freddie Hubbard. I went to see him play a number of times, often seated right up close to him.
    Along with his astounding technical mastery of the instrument there was a warmth and soul that spoke to me.

7. cb5270

cb5270 Pianissimo User

Jul 20, 2013
    How true. If I am having a "down" day, if I can make my self pick up the horn and play, even if it's just making some fundamentals sound good I always come away feeling better.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Here you go, cb. If this doesn't give you happy feet, nothing will. Bop your head, move your body. Smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs069dndIYk

9. cajunrph

cajunrph New Friend

Sep 2, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Arturo Sandoval National Anthem at the 2009 Orange Bowl when he cranks it up at the end.