My Horn angle

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jimt123, Sep 21, 2011.

1. jimt123

jimt123 New Friend

Jun 16, 2009
    As of lately (a period of less practice than my norm) my horn angle is going way up ( almost parallel and sometimes above parallel to the ground). I realize that this is because more and more it is becoming easier for me to play with my jaw pushed forward so that my lower teeth are almost in front of my front teeth....

Is this detrimental to my trumpet playing? and Can this affect other variables in my playing?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nope, it is not a problem for those who naturally play this way. The trumpet angle is determined by the geometry of your face and the angle of your head. Goal one is to keep pressure off of the upper lip.

If your playing is OK, don't worry about it. If you read somewhere that many lead players play like this and you are trying to shove your jaw forward without help from a teacher, then it is very possible that the point in time will come where nothing works anymore.

Everything affects EVERYTHING in the human body. Even a bad nights sleep or a bit more humidity can make your playing change. Only a local teacher with chops experience can really say.