My last concert

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldlou, May 6, 2012.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Just because you benched yourself doesn't mean that the game is over. We just got a new coach in OldLou.

2. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Sorry to hear about your health problems, Lou. I hope that you are able to continue playing, even if it is for yourself at home.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    You know the old saying-once a trumpet player, always a trumpet player. I know it must be very difficult having to stop the concerts. Will you be able to doodle around on the horn at home-not pushing yourself? Hope so.

If you don't mind, share a little of your musical past with us. You have always given great advice -even PMing me several times on questions I had posted. Know you must have had some phenomenal experiences over your career. Some of us would love to hear them. Know that you have many friends here. We will be praying for you.

4. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Sorry to hear that, Lou! Hope you will be able to express yourself musically in a way that does not harm your health. Hopfully, you will continue to share your knowledge and wisdom on TM. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Where was I? My lateness finds me without words of empathy for your health issues, that so many others haven't already said. Having only made a comeback to brass instruments in 2006 and myself being put down in 2010 with heart surgery, I've perused much of what you and others have wriitten that encouraged me to attempt recovery. I may now never again attain the level of profeciency I once had, but music is a balm that continues to "make my day" as I sincerely hope it does yours.

6. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Sorry to hear this News. I am dealing with similar problems after trying to make a come back late in life. Been no picnic,last thing has been old teeth fillings etc. going bad,problem root canal and reoccuring lung infection problems.

Been off the horns now for about 5 months. Hope to soon start back and give it till next year or so. Ole Lou,hope you keep teaching us all the things you know about Trumpets/Cornets etc. Your info. has been most helpful to me.

Pray you still can play in your local Church,since the extra strenous practicing for Concert playing will not be required. Unless it was a Church Orchestra. Maybe drop back to some duets etc. one or twice a month. Good luck,God Bless

7. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Study888, Know the dental bit also as followed my heart surgery and COPD diagnoses. Now have a full upper denture and lower partial leaving only 4 natural lower teeth remaining as I approach my 75th birthday this month. Still today logged 5 hours of easy practice primarily playing many songs I've played prior. I'm on a strict regimen of alternating 30 minutes playing with 15 minutes rest and during rest I utilize O2 therapy (O2 feed from concentrator or O2 tanks). Life isn't easy anymore, but playing a brass instrument is still a pleasure I can enjoy, while many others I can't anymore. I sincerely hope you find the same or similar pleasure in music in your future.

8. BurningHills

BurningHills Pianissimo User

Jan 3, 2011
    Bless you Sir! Spreading the spirit of music is one of the greatest gifts anyone can give. Please continue to share you love and knowledge of music here and everywhere else.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    You gifts will keep on giving Oldlou. I hope the music inside keeps you ever smiling

10. johnande

johnande Pianissimo User

Jun 3, 2009
    western Wyoming
    It is interesting, Lou, that a remote communication system like the internet and TM can generate feelings approaching "friendship" such as many of us have with you. As another one of the "old geezers" on TM who is dealing with the downside of the aging process, I recognize the loss you must feel as you hang up your horn. Although we may have to give up playing, music will always be part of who we are. And as said by Solar Bell and other posters above, we hope you stay on with us at TM. Your posts continue to provide us with gems of your knowledge. I am certain that many others, like I, consider you a good "friend" whom we have never met.