My last high note demo - I PROMISE!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Dec 30, 2008.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Hello, folks. I wasn't going to tell anyone about this clip. I did it the other day in response to another email exchange with a couple of different trumpeters and some conversations with yet more. I was just going to put it on my FAQ page at Nick Drozdoff :: Home, but Dave Harisson asked me to put the word out on behalf of his new mouthpiece that I'm using.

I've watched the Youtube clip of Jim Manley with great interest and I've been trying to implement what he does with his chops into my high gear thing. This is stack 7 of my range building exercise called the "Singing Exercises" that I got fro Neil Dunlap many years ago. I am using my Harrison
    Wedge 7FC -SST (stainless steel) with a 25 throat and Warburton 10 bb. I'm going to use that mouthpiece instead of my asymmetric to record the Fisher Tull concerto #2 in 2009. In any case, this clip uses only the CAMERA auido - no remixed audio, so it is distorted by the mics and agc. However, this was done quickly for instructional purposes and NOT for any MUSICAL intent. This will also be my LAST high note instructional clip. I will be continuing to do video/audio clips top share 'cause I just gotta play! However, I've said all I can say on high range with these videos for now. For anything else, I'd have to BE there.

Here's the link:

YouTube - Stack 7 - High Note FAQ

Thanks for your patientce and indulgence on this. No more of these screaming demos, I promise.

However, if someone can pick up an idea or two from this in figuring things out for themselves, then, I'm grateful for that much.

Peace, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Nick Drozdofft

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. Rich Wetzel

Rich Wetzel Pianissimo User

Dec 27, 2003
    Tacoma, WA
    Great stuff Nick!

As a long time friend of Walt's and a guy who was lucky enough to take lessons with him, to have him show me that hi gear thing, I can tell you that you are right on.

All your videos are well done and the range of topics of each is something that obviously a lot of people are getting some great information. Your local and internet students and anyone viewing all these can pick up some great stuff!

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for another awesome clip! I like the fact that you started out with a wide camera angle and then moved in closer so we could see the setup of your chops from a couple of different angles.

Happy New Year!

4. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Jeez!! Give a physics teacher a Christmas break and this is what he comes up with!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Great insite Nick!
    don't cut yourself so short. You have mature chops and an open mind. THAT is why this stuff works for you!
    Keeping the progress relative, OK maybe somebody can accomplish in 29 years what you have in 30!

That squeak stuff will be on my plate AFTER the next series of gigs. No changes while I am making money!!!!!!!!!!

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nick..

Great site and some nice videos with good technical ideas. I am going to try some of your methods on some of my students. I get up to Chicago on business frequently. Perhaps we could have lunch when you are not teaching Physics...

7. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    I loved the Bass Trumpet demonstration, I've never heard one of those before. I also loved the one on how you shattered a glass, that's awesome.

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I just tried the squeak stuff tonight. I could do it. I'll try to post in 6 months if it did me any good!

9. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    I tried to squeak a little today. I was able to do it when I started trying to squeak notes in the staff, then try to go higher, instead of going after a double C right off the bat. I only did it for a minute, but squeaked above high C a couple times. Maybe a little each day will lead to something usable.

10. trumpet_man

trumpet_man Piano User

Jan 17, 2008
    Wyoming
    Wow, I guess I should try squeaking, I've never done it before, but maybe it'll help. I always thought those kinds of things would tear up my chops by maybe they would help me build them up.