My Lesson and the Left side of my face

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, Feb 17, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    So, I had my first lesson with Tom Hooten this weekend, and he discovered something that really shocks me. Tom sounds incredible, by the way. Anyway, he discovered that half of my face does not vibrate!!! I've never used an embouchure visualizer (gotta get one now), but he had one and we looked at my buzz... yeah, one side (my left side) doesn't buzz when I play. He thinks this, along with some other things, are what's causing my lack of endurance. I've had a lack of endurance for a long time, so I'm hoping that if I fix this it will help a good bit. Have any of you ever heard of this and have heard how the person fixed it?

2. JustinSmith

JustinSmith Piano User

Nov 6, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    It's probably related to your teeth structure. Do you use more mouthpiece pressure on one side?

3. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I'll have to pay attention to that, but I don't really think that I do. I naturally have a very large upper lip which hangs down over my bottom lip if I'm just sitting here. I'm not sure if that causes it, but Tom mentioned something about trying to find a smaller diameter V cup mouthpiece to experiment with. The goal with that would be to try to limit how much of that flesh actually gets into the cup and to ultimately get that tissue out that isn't buzzing.

4. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Bell's palsy?

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think he would know if he had Bell's palsy!!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    CK,
    I have never heard of that. Keep us posted in regards to your development.

7. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, I will. I'm going to buy a visualizer this week (hopefully I can find one when I go try out some mouthpieces). It was kind of a slap in the face, but in no way did it slow me down... it's made me more determined than ever!!! And no, I'm pretty sure it's not Bell's Palsy... it's probably due to the very large upper lip I have. I'll let you guys know what I find out.

8. clousemiester

clousemiester Pianissimo User

Jun 10, 2007
    Boca Raton
    Is there any scaring on the inside of your lip?
    As my first teacher reccomended.......Soak it in Epsom Salts!
    Sounds weird but it works. Keeps the lip nice and soft.
    Read ALL WARNINGS----DO NOT SWALLOW.

9. commakozzi

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    There may be, but I've been experimenting with moving the mouthpiece over on my face. I naturally play with the horn a little off to the left of center, but Tom had my try moving it back over a little toward center. When I look at myself in the mirror with this set-up it looks almost dead center, but it feels like it's way off to the right. My sound is clearer with this set-up and that crappy buzz is almost gone, but my range and endurance are shot!!! If this set-up is what I have to stick with to get a good sound (Tom's example was to be able to play at pppp with a pure tone), then that's what I have to do and just build up my strength this year. Bummer!

10. qazaq

qazaq Pianissimo User

Feb 18, 2008
    One of the trumpet players at my school was having a problem similar to this...all through his playing career he had "cheated" his embouchure by playing in an odd fashion to get higher notes...he could sound ok, but he would never have much endurance, and he would never really have the chance to sound much better...just to increase his range. When I showed him the correct position, he was able to, with much effort (and not a small amount of encouragement), get back his range on the new position after a few months. Changing embouchures takes time, effort, and determination... But I don't think you will have to take an entire year...