My Lesson Learned

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tjnaples, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Hey trumpet peeps, thought I would share a valuable lesson I learned with you. So recently I went on a military exercise into "the field" in the Australian Outback. I didn't have room to pack a mouthpiece let alone a trumpet. I'd have taken my Bach and not my Monette into a field environment. The lesson is I should have made room for my mouthpiece so I could play it to keep my chops up as nothing truly replaces actually playing into a mouthpiece. I thought doing isometric exercises while not playing would keep my muscles from atrophy better than it did. I was seriously out of space in my two packs but know for next time to find some, somehow. Coming back and getting back into playing has been a bit rough but everyday my muscles are less sore and stronger so I'm looking to be good to go to play this Sunday in church. I mean it when I tell you the trumpet is one unforgiving instrument!

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    If you don't have space for a mouthpiece, take just a mouthpiece rim of the proper size. Or, if it's weight issues, take one of the fairly new Swiss turbo mouthpieces in your size. I just got one from Votruba's for assessment, and I must say I am impressed. Good feel, great sound, well centered. And less than 10 grammes in weight, very sturdy (can stand some rough handling) Slips easily in any pocket; I've been carrying it around for almost a week now in the same pocket as my keyring (18 keys), Swiss Army knife, Emoscope pocket telescope and the granite heart that was the first present my (then not yet) wife made me. No sign of scratching or wear - something you would not expect from a brass mouthpiece.

3. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    A Warburton P.E.T.E. works well.

4. Tomaso

Tomaso Pianissimo User

Oct 2, 2014
    New York City
    The OP makes a perfect case for the pencil exercise.

5. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I was tempted to put the Breaking Bad YouTube clip of Walter White telling someone to "Say my name".

6. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I think the PETE is isometric - which the op said was not enough. anyway - great idea with the lightweight mpc.
    btw - how big are your pockets barliman? In my left pocket I have a leatherman micra (handiest tool for the school band director EVER!), a tube of lip balm (chopsaver), and my PETE in an oval shape mint tin.
    Right pocket is reserved for key ring and sometimes (if i'm lucky) spare change!

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    The Australian Outback will do that to you .....

8. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    Next time I'll ask James Morrison for advice in advance!

9. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    How is there not room in a pack for one little mouthpiece? I don't get it.

10. Tjnaples

Tjnaples Piano User

Aug 30, 2013
    Hawaii
    I asked myself the same question. With everything on the gear list I was simply loaded to the gills. Absolutely every bit of space was used believe it or not as I did not have the option to bring a third pack. All the nooks and crannies were taken.