My Lesson w/Roger Ingram

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ALLCHOPS, Apr 24, 2007.

1. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    Actually my lessons were with NYC based player Larry Gillespie. Excellent player, teacher and "good guy". Would type more, but my mother in law is hawking around the apartment.LOL

2. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Wow, great stuff! I'm glad you brought it back...and since you did, I have a question. Did Roger ever discuss his practice routine? Does he play out of a book or specific exercises?
    Thanks,
    -Andrew

3. jhatpro

jhatpro New Friend

Oct 31, 2006
    Chicago area
    I, too, had a great lesson from Roger earlier this year. And this week I discovered that he's got some videos on Online Video Music Lessons by Star Studio Instructors - Trumpet, Trombone, Drums, Sax, Bass, Guitar, Piano that beautifully illustrate his approach to mouthpiece placement. He uses a visualizer to demo how he places his lips outside the cup on a small piece and inside the cup on what, for him, is a larger piece.

The videos will cost you about $5 to download but, in my opinion, are well worth the price. He also has a couple in which he demos his breathing technique.

I believe Bobby Shew and some other trumpet headliners also have instructional videos on the same site.

4. crowmadic

crowmadic Mezzo Piano User

Oct 3, 2006
    How much does a lesson GENERALLY cost with these super stars?

5. ALLCHOPS

ALLCHOPS Piano User

Nov 14, 2003
    Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
    Here's a better question: What's it worth to you?

I would rather not say how much the lesson was. I'll put it this way, it was worth every dollar!:D :D :D :D :D

TG

6. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    This can be answered here:
    Roger Ingram Lessons
    I had a lesson with him several months back. I attribute my last 2 whole steps (I actually hit a G and held it today--softly!!!) to following his exercises and methodology, along with Bob Odneal.

On an hourly basis, never having a private lesson before, I think it is a bargain. You can videotape the whole lesson, and then watch and learn as much as you want to over and over.