My Lesson With Alex!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eclipsehornplayer, Jan 24, 2006.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey there Bill. I just wanted to chime in and let you know that John does not have a local teacher. He took a looooooooooong break from trumpet playing. When he decided to get serious about it again, he and I began working through video and phone lessons before he made it up to Atlanta for a face to face lesson. We already had a bit of history behind us having worked through technology and John decided he wanted to continue this work with me on a regular basis. Now he will be coming to Atlanta once a month. Having taken a lot of time away from the horn, John wanted a solid, new foundation to build upon, so we went back to basics. I have no doubt his age and experience will have him improving by leaps and bounds in a fraction of the time of my younger pupils. He works hard and loves the horn. Teaching him is the easy (and enjoyable) part. LOL.

You brought up some important considerations for many who might be in the position you mentioned though.

AY

2. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Alex, it sounds like you have John off to a fine start! If you ever come out west to Reno, look me up!

Bill

3. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Alex thanks for the assist,

Bill, Sorry I did not realize that I had given the impression I was working with someone more local to me.

Columbus, GA is a pretty small contained community there are not many trumpet teachers here and of those that are here I liked only one of them.

In another thread I detailed my first lesson with a pro, Alex suggested that I see the trumpet professor over at Columbus State University for a lesson.

All and all it was a good expirence but I did not get a great deal out of that one time lesson. I'm sure that the professor is a fine man but we didn't really seem to click. He wanted to match me up with his grad student but I had my reservations about that.

The only other local is the "local trumpet pro" at the local music store. I was not impressed with this person at all. He was very full of himself and defineately not the material I was looking for. Young cocky and arrogant. I know trumpet players can be this way but that's not for me.

Alex and I agreed to work together as we had already built a repore with each other using technology to bridge some gaps. It was during this time I realized that Alex was the perfect person for me to work with.

We've both lived some life so we have other common areas outside of the trumpet.

We both like the three stooges how cool is that? :D

So I'm sorry that I took for granted that my post may not have told the whole story.

No harm done I hope... :oops:

Best to you Bill and thanks for your tips as well.

John

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Bill,

I also drive to Atlanta once a month for lessons because that is the only place to get top level instruction around here. Here is GA it is a lot different than most places, there are a few other good teachers/players out side of Atlanta but they are far and few between. I live in the second largest area in GA but there is no one around here I would want to study with, I bet John is in the same boat.

I think it is worth it to drive 2 and ½ hours in order to find teachers that fit my needs as a player.

5. W Scott

W Scott Piano User

Dec 8, 2003
    Carson City, NV.
    Well, you'll get no arguments from me about driving a ways to be able to study with a good teacher. I drive about one hour each way once a week for my lesson. There are lots of good trumpet players in my area, but not very many teachers for the more advanced trumpet student.

6. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Jason,

How right you are.... It's hard to find a good fit with so few choices local to me. Alex is a great find for me. So to me driving 1 1/2 hours once a month is well worth it. I'd like to go more but you do what you can do you know?

I hate it when work gets in the way of my fun..... :-P

7. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Sounds like your lesson was a very positive experience! Congratulations to Alex for being such an inspiring teacher.
    I had a great teacher, Richard "Bear" Schaffer who played with the Houston symphony about 30 years. I always left my lesson with something positive, even if I stunk up the place!!! I try to remember that in my teaching, correct, guide and let them leave with positive thoughts! :cool:

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Rather then start another thread I figured I'd just post in this one.

First and foremost I'm not going to post after every lesson, but I really felt strongly that I needed to post this here and now.

I had another lesson with Alex today. I was hoping to go into it able to show her that I've been working hard. I wanted to show her that I heard the advice she had given me and that I was applying it. I'm pleased to say that I think that I did just that. I have really been getting after it, and although I did the work it would be criminal to not recognize the teaching that got me there.

Alex,

From the bottom of my heart I can't thank you enough. Thanks for taking a chance on an old "hack" like me. I'm glad to know that I can be a testimonial to your teaching rather then a let down for either you or I.

I guess I just wanted to say that, I've had a terrible couple of weeks. My wife is in the Detroit area with her mother who had to have some stints placed to open 3 of her arteries after she was rushed to the emergency room with chest pain and shortness of breath. I had an absolutely terrible rehearsal with my community band on the last two Monday nights. Nothing seemed to be clicking and I had incorrectly interrupted some of the actions taken by my fellow section mates in order to make the section fuller. By the end of rehearsal I was about to just chuck my horns out a window and call it quits. I'm my own worst critic and I saw very little about my playing that I liked until today.

I consider myself to be among the lucky to be able to play duets with Alex, amongst the other material that we cover. We did nothing overly complex but the music we made at times had me wondering just who was playing with Alex because it sure was not me. We sounded amazing. When I really reflected upon how we sounded I was like Wow!

Alex pointed out some major points of improvement when compared to our last lesson and provided me with that compass that I so desperately needed; conversely she also pointed out areas in which improvement is still needed. She suggested that I keep a journal of these suggestions so that I can refer to them and keep making those adjustments as well as make more entries into that journal to keep myself on track.

All and all, I write this just to say that I feel blessed. I have found in Alex an incredible teacher. Someone with whom I can study with and derive benefits of Biblical proportion. I believe this wholeheartedly. I'm the only limiting factor here and she believes in me so I know that I can do whatever I want to.

Alex your a great tutor, mentor, and wonderful friend.

Thanks for the much needed pick me up! :worthy:

9. MrClean

MrClean Piano User

Oct 22, 2005
    SoCal
    DA Bear! Truly one of a kind...

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you John. :oops: You're doing all of the work and it is paying off. I love to teach and you are an absolute pleasure to work with. Keep it going. The sky is the limit.

Da' Lex