My Lips

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by maddysav, Feb 17, 2008.

1. maddysav

maddysav New Friend

Feb 17, 2008
    I'm in second year uni doing performance, and whenever i play i hear this tiny annoying nagging sound of the air escaping out the corners of my mouth!! It's really really annnoying and my teacher said it doesn't effect the tone quality but it really pisses me off. How do i fixx it pleeeaaase help.
    :dontknow:

2. bspickler

bspickler Pianissimo User

Apr 28, 2006
    Denver, CO
    This same question was asked on Trumpet Herald. I suggested tight corners, pucker more, some roll-in and try to relax the center of the lips. That sounds contradictory but try to get the chops in the mouthpiece and pull the corners into the center.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    do a search on Eric Bolvins pencil trick. That and about 4 weeks is all that one needs.

4. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    [​IMG]

5. omelet

omelet Pianissimo User

Oct 13, 2007
    charleston, sc
    This kind of problem you shouldn't worry about
    try to ignore it and keep playing
    don't focus on it or try to tense your lips or jam the horn on your face
    should fix itself with more practice

6. Pedal C

Pedal C Mezzo Forte User

Jan 24, 2005
    Does it still happen if you just play the mouthpiece alone? Sometimes things like this will dissapear without the horn. A few minutes on the mouthpiece a couple times a day and the "no leak" mouthpiece playing may start to translate to the trumpet without you really having to think about it. On the mouthpiece, I'd suggest just playing a couple little tunes and melodies. This has been especially helpful to some students who had air pockets in the lips or cheeks, but it might help with the air leakage too. Good Luck!

7. brad361

brad361 Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2008
    HA!!!!!!!!!!