My little dillema...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpet blower88, Sep 14, 2005.

1. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I mentioned this briefly in another post, but I thought I should ask you here to get your opinion on it. I play a Kanstul 1500A model, the mouthpiece reciever is a litle bit bigger than standard size. When I tried my teachers Monette B6 it didn't fit properly because of the way the monette gets thicker near the neck of the mouthpiece. I really want a Monette mouthpiece probably either a B2 or B3, but with the way it is right now, it just won't fit. I'm thinking I have two options 1) I can buy the Monette and then get the reciever on my horn replaced with a standard sized reciever, or 2) I can buy a Kanstul M-B2 or M-B3 and we can work with Kanstul to make one that fits (Kanstul is good with people).

So I just thought I would post here and ask for your opinion on this issue. I know the Monette is alot higher quality, but I don't know if it will be worth all the extra effort of going about getting the reciever replaced.

Thanks in advance,
    David

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    TB88,

I'm at a bit of a loss for a few reasons.

Copies and imitations don't float my boat, I'm afraid, but I know that costs can be prohibitive. So, here are your options:

1) Stick with current horn, current mouthpiece

2) Stick with current horn, buy Kanstul version of Monette mouthpiece

3) Get authentic Monette mouthpiece, buy and install workable receiver.

You have to ask yourself:

Would I happy with #1?

Would #2 make a sufficient difference in sound and comfort to bother getting?

Is #3 worth the investment and can I tell if there's a difference between the two mouthpiece makers?

I've never played a Monette mouthpice imitation nor would I want to but that's just me. Some people can't hear a difference and others say the difference is clear.

Good luck,

ML

3. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    TB88 -
    There may be one more option to look into. The STC1 blank has the ledge on the shank that causes it not to fit with the longer reciever, but the lead blank has a constant taper. Give the folks at Monette a call and see if they have (or can make) a B2 or B3 in a lead blank.

The lead blank is lighter than the STC1 blank of your teacher's mouthpiece, but still has plenty of mass compared to most conventional mouthpieces. I'd bet that it would be a pretty good match for your trumpet weight-wise. Best of luck with this.
    - Matt

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Bravo, Matt.

ML

5. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thank you so much for the ideas, I'll definatly check into the lead blank and see how it works. Unfortunatly there are no dealers here in Arizona (according to the monette website) The closest one is in Aneheim, California. But it just so happens that I'll be in Aneheim in two months for a marching band competition so hopefully I'll be able to find some time to go to the dealer there and try it out. If that doesn't work I may just have to talk to the people at Monette and see if we can't figure something out.

Do you happen to know if they have one of those "try it before you buy it plans" where they ship one out to you for you to try and then if its not just right you can send it back for another one?

Thanks,
    David

6. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I have several of their demo mouthpieces, i am not sure but they may only provide these to people that have a horn ordered and need to make a definite decision on a mouthpiece for their horn, i dont know i never tryed to demo one before i ordered my horn, maybe Manny can throw something in.

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    David, I was wondering this too. I am quite interested in the B2 (I play a 1 1/4C) but my local dealer (Parkers - I believe the only one in the uk...?) doesn't have a B2 in stock, and can't / won't get one unless I buy one. Obviously, I don't want to spend that kind of money on something I might not like at all.