My little guy just turned six...and still LOVES his trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by samsplace, Jun 19, 2010.

1. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    It has been a while since I have posted anything about my aspiring trumpet player. He begged for a trumpet for most of his fourth year of life after seeing on in the music store. Assuming the age appropriate response of his parents would be to give him a toy trumpet, that is exactly what he got for his 4th Christmas. Insulted that it wasn't the real thing, he kept on his mission to have a real one. Mind you there are no brass players in our family or extended family. His older sisters were taking piano lessons and had just begun violin, but my husband and I are NOT musicians.

For his fifth birthday, we bought a cheap trumpet assuming it would become an expensive toy. What a lesson in learning from you children the past year has been!! Within 2 weeks he had mastered a song and within a month was begging for a teacher. We found a teacher, met with a DSO trumpet player as well as a UNT trumpet professor. The general consensus was that he needed a cornet and by fall he was the proud five year old owner of not only a trumpet but also a used cornet. He also began piano lessons (at his request) because he was in a hurry to learn to read music.

Well, now he can read music, at least most of the treble clef, still working on bass clef. Now he is sitting at the piano and amazing us with what he is playing by ear and composing on his own. Now he is absolutely determined to learn to play Canon in D on his trumpet. Honestly, would you believe me that the child (just turned six the end of May) was so excited that I bought him new trumpet books this week that you would have thought I bought him a new video game!

We have kept the past year fun, not pressured him a bit and just let him lead the way. His teacher has been there to keep him from forming bad habits and help him, but has not pushed him at all. She also pretty much lets him have free reign on what he wants to play.

I wasn't sure if I should post his latest video now or wait until he has actually worked on the song for more than a day. This was taken less than 24 hours after we bought the new book that much to his delight had the music for Canon in D:
    YouTube - Canon in D

If you are interested in seeing more or the little piano clips we have been recording, there is getting to be quite the list under our username. When proud grandparents, who I believe are source of our kids musical genes, live in different states, we have to do our part to keep them up to date on the kids!!

Raising musical children but not being musicians ourselves leaves me rather insecure as to how to do this and keep the kids loving it. If anyone has insight on how your parents helped you as a child or esp. about practicing and how much of a bad guy vs. be relaxed I should be, it would be helpful. I tend toward being too laid back with them, I think as a result of how much I hated to practice and therefore completely gave up playing any instruments when I was a kid.

2. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Get a good teacher, the best you can find who has experience with children. And remember hes your son first and a trumpet player second.
    I worked as a sports coach for years from junior up to international level and came accross many children and adults who had, so called, pushy parents. Most didnt they just looked that way to those who did not understand the relationship between parent and child. In the end the child will do what they want as there comes a time when they take control of there own destiny. Just give them as many tools to cope with life as you can.
    If he becomes a great soloist you will love him as your son, if he does not and just becomes a great man you will love him as your son.
    Just enjoy every moment as a proud dad.

3. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I hope he keeps that enthusiasm up, if he does, he can do just about anything he wants later on. Just don't forget to let him be a kid as well......Buck:oops::thumbsup:

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    That's a great story, and it's wonderful that he is so keen on the piano as a tool as well! Congrats!

5. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    For the record, this is proud mom posting.:-) Proud dad is the one littering up youtube with all of his clips.

I am trying to understand your comment about finding the best teacher we can. His current teacher is a junior high band director who plays the french horn, but also plays the trumpet. She has been laid back with him because that is what both professionals we met with said we should do. Long-term, I don't foresee that she would be the teacher to stay with, but she has done a great job of working with a five year old.

Both professionals we met seemed like they would be really great teachers for him. Last summer, my local search for a teacher was going no where, I decided to email the Dallas Symphony education office and the music dept. at UNT. Both were interested in meeting him and were quite helpful in their advice.

However, both professionals are a substantial drive to consider on a regular basis (though I would do it if somehow my son is unique enough that it is warranted~we are amazed by him, but we are supposed to be as his parents!). I do plan to contact both of them and hopefully at least meet with them again to get their thoughts on how he is doing and if their advice would change.

I also wonder if for now, he might be better off with a very skilled piano teacher (which we are in the process of trying to find for our oldest) rather than really focusing on trumpet. Based on my memories of being nagged about how I was not holding my hands correctly at the keyboard, he seems to have a very natural and correct hand positioning. Not that that in any way makes him a good piano player, but he has been sitting at the piano, composing little songs (complete with names) since he was two years old. He never banged around on the keys the way a normal toddler would. Now, you might find him banging around today, but only in attempt to annoy his sisters. :lol: He is definitely showing great interest in composing and his ability to play by ear goes way beyond that of his mother!!

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    I think the poster did not read your entire post - and does not have the benefit of your previous posts. The rest of us understand where you are and have seen the videos when he first started. It sounds like you are doing all the right things. And, he is doing well. Thanks for the update. We enjoy watching his progress and look forward to one with his first performance.

7. RHSbigbluemarchingband

RHSbigbluemarchingband Mezzo Piano User

Jan 17, 2009
    He sounds great! And he seems to be having a lot of fun with the horn! And the piano is a great idea too, plus in general its another fun instrument to play along with trumpet

P.S. show him this video of Phantom Regiment doing Canon. I always loved it when I was younger and I still do......enjoy.
    YouTube - Canon - Phantom Regiment (2009)

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Music to my ears! And doesn't sound much worse than me when I'm practicing actually lol.

ENABLE but don't PUSH

that kid's having fun.

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It's great to see parental support for a young bloke with a passion - you are obviously doing stuff right - your "Sun" feeling nurtured enough to extend himself unthreatened, and a Mum (Mom) and Dad in there sharing the fun. My hat's off to you - yep I do wear a hat (at Band) the Aussie "Sun" is a killer.

10. samsplace

samsplace New Friend

Jul 9, 2009
    Good point! I know I am over thinking all of this with all three of my kids. However, I am determined not to have them find music to be the drudgery that I did. I know that I can't blame my parents, they certainly provided opportunity, but I don't recall much positive input or help in gaining a vision for why I was being tortured to practice. I never made it to the point that making music was fun.

For this reason, I want my kids to hear great music and understand that they can play it some day. I want them to see practice victories so that they will want to work harder. Yet we are working very hard to keep a balance of normal. But then this no TV, book reading, music playing, chicken owning, garden growing family will never really fit into any "normal" category! :lol:

Thanks so much to everyone who has posted kind words on this thread.