My Modified LB Bach Strad

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Apr 19, 2004.

1. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    You might ask, though you probably won't have to, Heavens2kadonka. He's had experience with Blackburn before. Also, the Pilczuk pipes are supposed to be very good as well, and slightly cheaper, last I heard.

2. BigBadWolf

BigBadWolf Piano User

Nov 30, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    You might also look at Ken Larson's leadpipes. While I haven't played on a Bb pipe, I have one of his C pipes and it is a huge improvement over the Bach and Blackburn pipes that I had before.

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'm totally open to suggestion, but I want to hear from someone that has firsthand experience with any of them, Larson, Pilczuk or Blackburn.

It is a theory and opinion of mine that the worst part of a Bach Strad trumpet lies in the first 8 - 10 inches of it - i.e, the leadpipe. That's why I want to look into this step of customization. If I can find a leadpipe that really makes this horn come alive, why would I even want to think about investing $2K+ on an upper level semi-custom horn like a Schilke or a Calicchio when I can get virtually the same thing for the cost of a good leadpipe?

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Hehe, I have posted something along the line of what I am going to say at least five other times. I just love talking about it. The experience was very enjoyable. :D

I call them, ask about adding a pipe. The lady asked me what I was wanting from the sound. I naturally said "Dark, full, round." She tells me that their 19 and 20 are the darkest. She said she didnt really know which would be my favorite, so they sent me BOTH to test for two weeks!

The 19 gave me a much better control and range, but I didnt like the sound and feel. The 20 felt like I had put the Strad into overdrive. The sound was HUGE, the feel was OPEN, it was freaking BLISS to play!

After sending them back, Bunny Blackburn sends me a note, thanking me for trying the pipes. Real nice people.

When I pimp out my strad, I am definitely getting a 20.

Trickg, you should definitely give them a call.

Its too bad their horns now have a three year waiting period.

Van

5. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Trickg, I definitely suggest you look into a Blackburn pipe. They will bend over backwards for you, and the quality is amazing.

With the pipe, that strad was the BEST strad I had ever played. Without it, it was the worst. No joking. The pipes changed the horn THAT much. Blackburn leadpipes are worth their price, and I dont say that about too much....

It still blows my mind trumpet quality like this is just an hour and a half away..

Van

6. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Wow, it took you THAT long to find this thread?

7. Heavens2kadonka

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    *Blows bigaggie up with a rocket launcher*

Sorry, I sometimes miss a few!! Gosh, I cant keep up with all the threads going on at one time!!! What the flip!?! Gaaaa....

:D

Van

8. old geezer

old geezer Pianissimo User

Dec 26, 2004
    Indianapolis,In.
    about 15 years ago I had a good friend who is a great tech fool around with and old strad I had. he unsoldered the bell braces and the bell sprang out to the left quite a bit so he unsoldered the bell at the 1st valve -repositioned it, re-bent the braces until everything fit correctly and took off the same lead pipe tuning slide brace you removed. that horn was the most open blow horn you could imagine, but the sound was very harsh and brittle when you put some air through it. I sold the horn to a high school kid who wanted a " Jazz horn" and he thought it was great. that horn had so much stress built into it no wonder Bach got a bad name. I am not saying Bach's are bad horns just saying that when you buy a horn you are not buying a name but buying what that one person stuck together. the next Bach that came down the line put together by someone else may be the best horn you ever played. no matter how good the design we humans can really mess it up. old geezer Dave :cool: