My Monette Rant

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Heavens2kadonka, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    So, I was cruising the ebay a few weeks ago, when I came upon a Monette Prana for sale. I actually saw the pictures of the bell, etc. Really interesting, how the bell flares.

I went back the next day, when the link went down.

So, later I started crusing around, looking for some Monette pics.

And, I searched, and searched, and searched....

WHY AREN'T THERE MORE PICTURES OF THE MONETTE TRUMPETS!??!?!?

One would figure such high quality horns, people would be chomping at the bit to show them off. However, it seems no one shows these horns off.

I would love to see in-depth photos; the bell flare, the soldering close-up, the bracing, the valves, the slides, the inside of the leadpipe....

But instead, all I see are the far-off sideways pics at Dave's website. Its aggravating.

(I would also like to see comparative photos of the Prana, the Standard, and those Monette pieces with the really fat upper body).

Van

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Hey Van,
    Check out www.thompsonmusic.com for some awesome pictures of Monette trumpets. I sometimes wonder what percentage of Monette trumpets pass through that site... I would guess about 5 percent...
    -Jimi

3. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    PS. If there's anything special you want to see, I'd be glad to email you some pictures of mine. Nothing too explicit though, I mean, she's just a little baby... :bleah:

4. frank

frank Piano User

May 28, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Congrats, Van, this is the first Monette rant that I like :lol:

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Maybe too many close up pictures of the actual instruments might destroy some of the mystique associated wiith Monette?

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nah, the Monettes are being used so much, no one has time to stop and pose them for photos! :D

7. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Tmike might be on to something. When you look at the brass ones they look, well... older than they are and the undecorated gold ones in a funny way are pretty unremarkable to look at as every part is functional and there's little to no fluff.

Now, the presentation decorated ones... oh my! I have seen Art Farmer's horn, held it in fact, and it is an absolute gem. Gorgeous! The same with Ron Miles's horn. Those are museum quality pieces. Wynton's Raja was also a beauty.

Oh, well... as to the brass ones again, I suppose the finish is on the inside!

ML

8. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003

Last edited: May 19, 2007
  9. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Mine gets nervous. Won't let me take photos if anyone else is in the room. It's a trust thing.
    -Jimi

10. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Hey Van,
    I have a friend that let's me play on his. He has a cornet, a 2000LT, and a 993B. Lemme know what you want and I'll be glad to take pis and send them your way.

All the best,
    Tim