My Monette

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrotherBACH, Oct 14, 2012.

1. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I said that I would report back to TM.

My disclaimer, I already know that no mouthpiece or instrument magically compensates for poor technique or musicianship; Now, on to my Monetteexperience. I visited the factory on my Birthday, got a tour, and actually got to meet Dave Monette. Everyone (Jeff and Jason) was wonderful.

I had the opportunity to play Wynton Marsalis’ actual trumpet in the shop (as seen on their videos), while Jason helped me to select a new mouthpiece. First, the trumpet was so very free bowing and beautiful sounding; it resonated with so little effort. Yes, I could play with much less effort, too.

Switching back-and-forth between different mouthpieces and getting feedback from Jason, I felt that one was particularly correct for me. It just happens to be the same model that Adam Rappa uses. I was using a Mt.Vernon 3C with no real desire to change per se. It was all for the birthday experience and pure fun. However, from that moment on, I have never looked back and have not used my Mt Vernon 3C again. The new Monette mouthpiece ended up feeling like a perfect match and I have been happy ever since. To be sure, whatever issues I had before, still exist. There is no magic. But, there is a comfort level and ease of use that did not exist on my previous mouthpiece.

For me, it was the experience of a life-time. The detailed tour got me to appreciate the craftsmanship and beauty of the horns up close. And, one day, if I save my pennies, I may even be able to purchase a horn. It would be well worth it “to me”. You have to play one to understand, I guess.

Best Wishes,

BrotherBACH

2. MJ

MJ Administrator Staff Member

Jan 30, 2006
    Naptown
    Got any pictures to share?

3. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Nice birthday gift! Just the tour and try-out would be a blast.
    Congrats on finding a mpc that works for you!

4. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    561691_10151230881371321_63191544_n.jpg Yes, actually. I will see if I can upload. I have had trouble in the past.

BB

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012
  5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I keep trying to attach a picture but with no success. Is there something I am doing wrong?

BB

6. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    You need to mount the picture elsewhere such as Flickr and then put the link in your message. ...or something like that.

7. shooter

shooter Piano User

Jan 12, 2007
    VA
    Thanks for sharing!!

8. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Cool to hear you had a good time. I'm visiting the shop next week and am very excited to see the operation, try out some horns and mouthpieces, and meet some of the people that work there. No chance I can afford a horn, but I'm sure I will leave wanting one really badly.