My mouthpiece is turning funky colours

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Jun 16, 2012.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Hi all TMers,

I picked up my trumpet today and realised the inside (cup) of my mouthpiece was blue. A really deep bluey-black sort of colour. To be honest I've been noticing a tinge of blue for a while but today it really stuck out.

So I know this has something to do with certain chemicals in my physical makeup reacting with the metal of the mouthpiece, however I thought it was strange that this mouthpiece should turn blue after 9 months of used, as opposed to my other mouthpiece which only turned a dark browny-black sort of colour on the inside after a good five or six years of use.

Just wondering if this or something like this happens with anybody else and what the nitty gritty science is behind it. I am curious. Is it some sort of tarnish? Can it be restored to its original silver shine?

Thanks forum!

McTrumpet98

2. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I don't know anything about the chemicals involved; but it seems that your general make-up is fairly aggressive, so you should protect any part of the hooter you are touching with your hands - either by getting a professional valve-guard (can be had from Yamaha) or by wrapping your hand with a soft cloth before playing. As to cleaning your mouthpiece - get yourself a good silver polishing cloth and get the mpc a good rub down. Or else take it to the nearest jewellers and ask them to put it into their jewelry cleaning bath.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Some aluminum foil, baking soda and hot water should make your mouthpiece look like new.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Maybe it's a Genuine Blues Mouthpiece - obvious really.

5. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I have seen this before, and I think its pretty cool. I would keep it like that, nobody else has a blue mouthpiece. I highly doubt it will hurt anything.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Exact same thing happened to me with my first mp, a bach, but it took a while. I kinda liked it actually. Did not happen with my 2nd bach mp and the one I'm using now is a Monette, still looks exactly the same as day 1, except for the insertion marks. I believe I have some pretty aggressive skin stuff too because the nickel plating is already gone at the contact areas on my Selmer after a little over a year of daily use. Tried the valve guard thing but I couldn't position my right thumb the way I wanted with it. Oh well...

7. TrumpetMonk

TrumpetMonk Pianissimo User

Jul 22, 2009
    West virginia
    My gold mouthpiece is purple on the inside. I don't think it hurts anything.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yep, this is based an sound chemical principle and it does work well. I personally then use the excess aluminum foil and place it over my head... Keeps the alien reception out so I can concentrate more on my playing... still the theme form "Close Encounters.." still comes into my memory.

9. patkins

patkins Forte User

Nov 22, 2010
    Tuscaloosa, AL.
    the nickel composite in brass will cause it to turn blue. Tarnish ismre grayish to blackish hue. The only way to solve it, if it bothers you is to have the mouthpiece rim gol plated. Unless your actually having some type of allergic skin reaction, it is probably nothing to worry about and cleaning as above stated will be sufficient.
    All my nickel plated mouthpieces actually get that blueish hue.