My mouthpiece is turning funky colours

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Jun 16, 2012.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Yeah it is pretty funky! :D

I got a custom satin gold 3C Artisan mouthpiece coming in the mail in the next week or two to go with the Artisan AB190S I'm getting (had to order it, they did not have any left in stock at my store), so my funky mouthpiece will be stored as a back-up. In the near future.

So how does this aluminium foil, baking soda and hot water thing work? I'd love to try it someday, even if it was just on my unused 7C. And I assume it can work with trumpets? Also, can it work with gold plate things or is it just silver? If not, is there a similar technique you can use for gold plating?

Thanks!

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    GM, you're back - how's the new mouthpiece?

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    I just take a cereal bowl,put a piece of aluminum foil in i,t place the mouthpiece on the foil,let the tap water get as hot as possible,fill the bowl with the water and add a teaspoon or so of baking soda and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I don't have any gold plated mouthpieces so let us know if it works .

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
  5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I don't think this process is relevant to a goldplated MP Al. The gold is relatively inactive and doesn't deteriorate through "oxidation" - so the reversal electrolysis process you have described has nothing to act on - it works a treat on silverplated equipment though.

6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The trick with aluminum foil hot water (I used boiling) and table salt does such a great job of removing tarnish that it removes the patina that makes silver look so cool as well, and it will look more "flat" than shiny. If the silver piece is really really tarnished I would recommend that method and then using an old (used) silver polishing rag to add the patina.

Had a good friend who was able to turn the inside of the cup blue from playing--it didn't hurt anything, he is a fine player, but he did go bald. I don't think there is a connection, but one never knows.

7. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    The inside of my mouthpieces always look new... must have something to do with me cleaning them with a tissue before I put them back in the case. As for the outside, I always wipe down my horns and mouthpieces with a soft cloth (a non-abrasive silver polishing cloth for the silver ones) before they go back in the case, too. Also, I keep my laquered horns waxed with a high-quality car wax. When I first started playing, I used a valve guard; it absorbed the moisture from my hand and concentrated its corrosive effect on the valve casings. Not pretty. The plastic ones do a good job of scratching the instrument at the sharp edged of the guard. A few moments of proper attention go a long way, although I do know some trumpet players that pride themselves on the neglect of their horn. I don't get it. A shiny horn is a happy horn.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
  8. BustedChops

BustedChops Mezzo Forte User

Oct 1, 2011
    You could try a plastic mouthpiece top with a stainless backbore.

Good luck.

9. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    This mouthpiece belongs to a friend. I stuck it in my 2B just to take this picture. You can see it is only blue in the bowl, not the rim or throat.
    I think it looks kinda cool.
    [​IMG]

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Weird! Never ever seen that before!