My mouthpiece is turning funky colours

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mctrumpet98, Jun 16, 2012.

1. mctrumpet98

mctrumpet98 Pianissimo User

Sep 29, 2011
    Down Under
    Almost exactly what my mouthpiece looks like! Freaky eh? ;)

I tried that salt bath on my old mouthpiece, left it in there for about 6-7 minutes and most of the tarnish had disappeared! There were little flakes that rose to the surface, and the water and foil turned a brown-black colour. I'm quite impressed!

However I think that a blue mouthpiece cup is rather cool, I'll be interested to see how the gold mouthpiece turns out. I'll see if I get a purple cup like whoever previously mentioned that! :)

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    That is merely silver oxide,( silver tarnish ). It does no harm to the mouthpiece, or to the musician. It is intensified in many cases by the chemical compounds in the players saliva. I am also one of those that turns the mouthpiece cup blue or purple, then, BLACK. I agree that the oxidized cup is unsightly, but, who looks, other than your section mates?

OLDLOU>>

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Uhhh, harleyt26, are you bald by any chance?

4. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    How does this happen? I kinda want to have this happen to one of my mouthpieces as long as it is safe.

5. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    I am handsomely hairless

Is there a glare on the photo?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  6. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Okay Vulgano Bro, how did you know?

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Keratin, a major component of hair, has a relatively high sulfur content. Sulfur causes silver to tarnish. My theory is that bald people don't always lose hair; in some cases it migrates into the lungs, and in the case of trumpet players, can turn the inside of mouthpieces blue on the inside.

I love pseudoscience!

8. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    Too bad its his friends mouthpiece. But good science behind it.

9. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Hard boil an egg. Remove the white and pack the yolk into your mouthpiece cup. It won't take long for the sulfur in the yolk to tarnish the silver in the cup. Clean the mouthpiece thoroughly, but don't polish the inside of the cup.

That's how I'd do it, if I wanted that look. Which I don't.

10. harleyt26

harleyt26 Mezzo Forte User

Dec 9, 2009
    Summerfield,Fl.
    My mouthpieces don't do that. But the guy that owns that mouthpiece is bald too.

But one part of your response confuses me. How is that bald people don't lose their hair?
    I want to be that kind of bald.
    Is Oldlou bald? What about the OP, is he bald too or one of those hairy guys with keratin in his lungs. :dontknow:

Dupac likes this.