My mouthpiece placement

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by djserrant, Dec 21, 2008.

1. djserrant

djserrant New Friend

Dec 13, 2008
    Florida
  2. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Looks almost 50/50 to me.

Why do you ask? Is there anything wrong with your tone or anything?
    And pics with the MP in the trumpet might be better.

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Yeah, I'd have to say 50/50 too. You have your mouthpiece slighty to YOUR right, I do the same. Or maybe I'm just seeing stuff?

4. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Yeah, he does, now that I look at it.

I have mine slightly to the left.

5. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    djserrant,

You are clearly a brave and a thoughtful individual. Looks fine to me. Sadly the placement is only a very small part of the equation;but that looks like a good foundation to build on.

all the best

B.U.M.

6. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Come to think of it you might well be wise to forward this to WW, EC, or TK to get seasoned professional opinion on it. It is difficult to make judgments over the net, and they might see subtle issues that mere mortals such as my good-self might not.

7. HSOtrumpet1

HSOtrumpet1 Pianissimo User

Nov 28, 2008
    Michigan
    I haven't even looked at your pictures, but my Arban book says that it should be 2/3 on the lower lip and 1/3 on the upper lip. You might want to consider this, but if you have been playing for a long time and your lips feel fine with the placement you have and you are not experiencing any difficulties, I would stay with the placement that you have right now. I feel that if it's working for you, don't worry about it. I got advice like that when I was wondering if I could switch to a low pressure grip and Robin had the best advice. Just stay with the grip you have right now if it's working for you.

8. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    yea the pictures are too dark to tell. find a good trumpet teacher and ask them. As far 1/3 2/3, 1/2 1/2, 2/3 1/3. I know player that use either one of these. As long a the rim doesn't sit on the red of your lips top and bottom you're OK. Your lips will find the best vertical place for the mpc.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Looks fine to me. Mouthpiece between the chin and nose. Same place as every other trumpet player on the planet.

Just for the record: DIY embouchure "improvements" are generally STUPID. If the player has any idea of what works, they don't need to ask, and if they don't know, the internet will not help.

get a decent daily routine and a decent teacher and your playing will take care of itself

10. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    I play slightly to the right too, but does anybody know why is this? Why do most people play to the left or the right and no in the middle?