My New Baby

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ScreaminRaider, Mar 16, 2006.

1. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    See, that's the thing...I am still a newb on this stuff....I could've sworn that a teacher of mine a couple years ago played on just the B-flat pipe. I was hoping someone on TM would be able to tell me all the fun little things that I don't know yet.

oh yeah.....I went and bought all sorts of fun music today. It has been a blast playing on this horn.

Also, I just got a phone call asking for Picc for an Easter service that I am playing, so I am very happy I bought it.

2. timothypierson

timothypierson Pianissimo User

Feb 20, 2005
    My trumpet teacher plays a Schilke pic and he pulls the slide out to play in A. I've played on about two or three and all of them played in A with the slide out. I know Blackburn builds a leadpipe specifically for Schilkes to play in A. Hope this helps.

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

P5-4A - no A pipe

I have a Schilke picc. I've had it for many years. MINE didn't come with an A pipe. You just pull the slide to play in A.

The Schilke picc leadpipe takes a cornet shank on the mouthpiece. I've never really liked that, but lived with it. My two previous piccs were a Courtois four valve (which DID come with two pipes) and a Couesnon 3 valve. The Schilke out-performed both from an intonation point of view.

Now, quite a few years ago, Jerry Callet was marketing an A-leadpipe for a Schilke picc. HIS A-pipe, however, took a trumpet shank, but since it was a little bigger, for that purpose, he didn't make a B-flat pipe. There had to be some lengthy taper to it.

That Callet A pipe was the best thing I've ever played on my Schilke picc. At the time I was pretty broke, or I would have bought it. I have regretted it ever since. It blew easier, had a warmer tone and plyed perfectly in tune. I wish I knew where to get one of those things now!

In any case, Schilke didn't send you an A pipe, becuase the horn doesn't have one, unless they have changed the design.

Peace.

Nick

4. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Thanks everyone, You just saved me $125

5. Spleeyah!

Spleeyah! Pianissimo User

Apr 6, 2005
    Re: P5-4A - no A pipe

yeah, my P5-4 didn't come with an A pipe either :shock:

6. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I tune my horn in A and Bb before a job and simply make a dark mark with a pencil for each. That mark with last about one job and then I wipe it off assuming that I will not be playing at the same place the next job. That makes it easy to go back and forth between A/Bb in one job. I just like the way certain tunes lay on each side of the horn. Sometimes I'll switch 3-4 times on one gig, and the mark makes that possible with no trouble at all.

You also need to be aware that a slight adjustment is necessary on the valve slides when making a change so the horn plays in tume with itself.

7. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Doesn't Blackburn make a killer pipe for that horn? A friend has a Schilke picc with a Blackburn A pipe. As good as the Schilke horn is, but Blackburn pipe made a big difference in it.