My New Holton Heim

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Rick Chartrand, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi Guys

I am now the proud owner of a new Holton Heim 2 mouthpiece. It arrived in the mail yesterday and I was totally blown away by it. It is a little smaller cup than I thought it would be (10 1/2 c) but the tone is so lyrical and fluid, it just sings!

The V-Cup really makes it sound great. The nice thing is that it really bumped up my endurance. I usually am able to play for about 3 hours and I had no problem going for 4 hours. But then again I am used to playing a Bach 3c.

And the high notes were so EASY to play!

The only thing I didnt like is that it takes a little extra effort to reach the really low notes, but with such a small cup that is to be expected. I was wondering though...some people have said that the new Heim is nothing like the one that Miles played. Any thoughts? And can you get a Miles Heim today? Model? Size?

Untill I got this peice I really didnt know what size Miles played but was shocked to learn that he played a Heim 2 which is a 10 1/2c. Such a small cup for such a great artist!

I had a great experience with this Heim buying it without trying it, and hope that I have just as great experience with my new Monette STC1-B4 that I have on order

Rick Aka Trumpet Man :D

2. joe brown

joe brown New Friend

Jan 16, 2004
    atlanta,ga/st. croix usvi
    The new Heim mouthpieces are still being made by the Leblanc division of Selmer. I have a gold plated one that i use and it's a great little mouth piece. By the way to get the petal tones just back off and they will come.
    For the question of the new one being like the one Miles played. No it's not at all like the original. I splurged and had Valdimar Freidman make me an exact duplicate of the mouthpices he made Miles when Holton discontinued the Heim. It's a carbon copy of the original Heim 2 in gold. He has made over the years has made about a dozen exact copies. The size is more like a 7NY Bach size. The cost $200.00 dollars.

3. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Joe

Iheard that the new Heim was different. That sounds like a beautiful mouthpiece youve got there Joe, and I'd love to have a exact duplicate of Miles Heim too, but have already got a Monette STC1-B4 on order which is gonna set me back $200 right there. Maybe this Summer :D Thanks for the tip on how to get those low notes. Just in case I want to have a old Heim made for me, how can I contact Valdimar Freidman? Is he still around making pieces?

Hey Dylan thanks for the info on those other players. All you ever hear by most horn players is that you have to go big in size to get a big tone. Nice to know that these great players had small cups. Hence that great 4 hour endurance they enjoy like I'm getting now cause of thie Great Heim :D

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

4. joe brown

joe brown New Friend

Jan 16, 2004
    atlanta,ga/st. croix usvi
    Rick, Vladimar now works for Dillon Music. His work schedule is 10am until 4:30pm monday thur thursday. H can make any of the old Giardnelli pieces too.

5. rms573

rms573 New Friend

Feb 8, 2005
    I bought a heim 1 from a local music store a while ago. It was way to small in diameter for me to play, I just bought it for the fun. I was always curious though....what size does the heim #1 compare to?

6. Rick Chartrand

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    hi Guys

Hi ma573, I think that the Heim 1 is roughly equivilent to a 7c and is larger than the Heim 2 wiich is a 10 c. The Heim 2 is really small for me considering that I am used to a Bach 3c, but it has literally doubled my endurance time to over 4 hours, and thats what I need when busking on the side to make tons of cash. By the way, I'm have on order a Monette STC1-B4 mouthpiece and should be getting it in the spring. It looks like you have a nice collection of Monette horns there :) Im saving for an Anja 2 Prana, and cant wait to order and get it in the future.

Hey Joe thanks for the info for Dillon Music. Think I'll give him a try later in the spring after I receive my Monette mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man