My "New" horn

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Manny Laureano, Oct 16, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey all,

Just wanted to share that I recently purchased and will soon take delivery of a horn that belonged to one of my other honored teachers, Mel Broiles, who passed away a couple of years ago. I have three that belonged to Mr. Vacchiano and now I'm happy that I will own one from Mel. He was a very influential teacher from my critical college years and it'll be nice to have a piece of his history in my arsenal.

It's the old Eb cornet by Besson he used for many demonstrations and operatic excerpts.

I can hardly wait to get it and will find someway to be heard at Orchestra Hall.

HEY!!! I just now realized... I have a posthorn solo to play in a few weeks.. hmmm, wouldn't that be cool?

ML

2. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    :play: Congratulations! I know you must be elated. It would be really cool if that horn works for the posthorn. I bet you can't wait to play Mahler 3, eh? I know Mahler tried to shrug off the programmatic nature of this work, but I find it enchanting. It is my favorite of his. I wish you well with your Broiles cornet. I bet you sleep with it for a week like a teddy bear and a big smile on your face. LOL.

Again, congrats Manny.

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
  4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I agree with

<--- <---

-cw-

5. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    I have one of Mr. Vacchiano's C trumpets. It's a Martin (like the one Ghitalla recorded the Hummel on). I never have used it but enjoy owning it.

Larry Malin

6. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Hey c-man! u look like larry fishburn.

7. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    Manny,
    One of the guys I graduated with at NEC bought one of Mel Broiles' E-flat trumpets a year or so ago. He got it from Dillon's and it came with a pair of earplugs that, according to Dillon's, were used in the pit at the MET.
    -Jimi

8. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    Manny,

I have one special old horn that belonged to a trumpet player whom I studied with, and admired as a player. When life stinks (and it does for all of us from time to time) it is really neat to pick up that old horn and feel the presence of my old mentor. It might not make me play better, but it often makes me put life into perspective and refocus my efforts.

Congrats on the new horn!

Dave

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, folks, you're the best.

Alex knows me too well! Yes, I'll keep it under my pillow!

Hey, Wilmer... do you happen to remember seeing Mel play that horn in NYC? Were you aware of its existence?

ML

10. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    No I didn't catch him on that horn. I hear he played the Brandenburg on an Eb for his Philly audition!
    I'm still trying to get the flugel mouthpiece in trumpet thing right.
    Wilmer