My new Horn!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by schleiman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    Hey there everyone, the new horn arrived today. It's an Austin Winds Stage 470 LT with a Copper Bell. I played it for a few hours and the feel is just great for me. Anyways here are some pics, oh, it's in raw brass btw. Sorry the pics are kind of lame, I don't have a very good camera. :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    Congrats on the horn. Nice styling with those recessed caps. the mouth piece looks way cool also. How is the mouthpiece?

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    The new horn looks great.

4. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nice!

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Sweet!!

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Looks like a pretty awesome horn! Congrats! How does it play?

Kujo

7. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    The mouthpiece is fantastic. It's an Austin Winds KF model .600 diameter. It's a screw on 2 piece design. One piece for the cup, and the other for the shank/backbore. The cup is very comfortable for me, nice design and really good feel.

8. schleiman

schleiman Piano User

May 12, 2010
    Austin, TX
    This horn plays great. I feel like it speaks very easy for me, I don't feel like it's a battle when I pick it up. It's a huge bore, but the sound is enormous and velvety, a very clear true trumpet tone. The valves are amazing, and with the Heavy trim kit, it feels really balanced in the hands. Intonation is really good all up and down. My teacher also plays one of these, they are designing a couple new horns for him. Watch out for these guys, their horns are great and they aren't getting any cheaper! But they are developing new models. As in a 4.66 and 4.60 bore, I've played the prototypes and they are awesome. But their real jewel is an amazing heavy trumpet called the Balanced Ballad. That is one hell of an instrument. Andy Taylor built it for them to their specs. Kanstul makes the 470. Also, Doug and Dave at Austin Winds are really really nice guys. Humble and professional.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  9. EL_JMAN

EL_JMAN Pianissimo User

Sep 14, 2010
    So Cal (San Diego)
    Ooooo! Pretty trumpet... Hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

10. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Horn pron, sweet! Play it well.