My new Monette B6 vs. my old Bach 3C

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by K.Buck, Sep 25, 2005.

1. K.Buck

K.Buck New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Virginia
    Hey,
    I'm new here and after using this site for information about mouthpieces I decided join. I also decided to upgrade from my old Bach 3C to a new Monette STC-1 B6. I read that the B6 was most similar to the 3C. However, I still have some questions. What is the difference like b/t these two mouthpieces? Is it really that hard to get used to a monette? Will this work with my Olds trumpet? Thanks for the help! :dontknow:

2. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    It will work great with your olds trumpet, you are the one playing it, you should know this. No, assuming the mouthpiece is not a PRANA series acclimation should be very easy and take little time.

3. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    Be sure you get a size recommendation from the shop, rather than just looking at charts and using you own knowledge to decide.

Also, I second that you'll probably be instantly better on a Monette non-Prana.

4. K.Buck

K.Buck New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Virginia
    I didn't change because I wanted something new, and I still love my old mouthpiece. My old 3c was almost dead from years of marching band and it was time to get something new. Anyway it came in the mail today and I love playing it. I haven't noticed a difference yet except that the tone quality is a little better. Thanks for the help guys! :play:

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    How does a mouthpiece die :?:
    Wilmer

6. 11thchair

11thchair Pianissimo User

Jan 27, 2005
    Evansville In
    Well he did say marching band. I have seen how the kids treat their horns at my daughters HS. They aren't pretty. Respect for horns does not seem the same when I was in HS. But then we only had 1 horn - these kids have 2 or 3.

7. K.Buck

K.Buck New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Virginia
    Mouthpiece Death

Has no one else had a mouthpiece that has died after years of use? My old mouthpiece has dents from marching band (color guard) and I might have smashed it against a wall when I couldn't hit a high C a few years ago.(don't act like you've never done it) However, I'll make a valiant effort to protect this new one.

8. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Question:There are 2 posts in this thread implying that Prana MPs are hard to get used to, and that a player will sound better at once on a "non-Prana" Monette MP.

What gives? I've been thinking of switching to a Prana because I want to play more in tune, but not if it's recalcitrant!

Tom

9. PatchesTheCat

PatchesTheCat New Friend

Feb 1, 2004
    A Prana will not make you play more in tune. All it is, is a bigger throat and larger backbore. And more money. There are no quick fixes. It is just a different option monette put out that some seem to like, others don't. A standard monette could do just fine, it isn't LESS in-tune. A Bach, Marcinkiewicz, Warburton, etc etc. would do just fine as well. Don't fall into gimmicks. In the end it is all up to you, equipment just helps along the way.

10. Deecy

Deecy Pianissimo User

Aug 8, 2005
    NYC
    Thanks, Patches. I've been using a Reeves 42 C; it plays pretty well in tune, probably more so than any of my Bachs, etc, and it's comfortable. My second best is Schilke 9C4 and an 11.
    Reeves makes a new 2-piece called the Dynamic Mass MP. I got one from Giardinelli a while back for trial. I thought it was terrific. Reeves themselves says, however, that it's not for everybody (whatever that means!)

Tom