My New Monette B6

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BPinard, Sep 14, 2005.

1. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    So today for my birthday I got a Monette B6 mouthpiece! Buzzing with this mouthpiece is incredibly easy. It plays like a dream with my horn too!

I know that most of you know what a B6 looks like, but I'm psyched and just "have to" show off!

Pictures:

(click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

(click to enlarge)
    [​IMG]

Woot!

Now I see why Monette charges what they do for their products (at least their mouthpieces, I haven't played a Monette horn yet). It's fantastic!

2. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    Sweet man, my first Monette was a B6, get ready to fall in love.

3. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yeah... I played my teachers B6 the other day, it was amazeing! I want to get one real bad, unfortunatly the mouthpiece reciever on the Kanstul 1500A model is a litle bigger than most trumpets so I think I have two options. Get a Kanstul copy of the B6 and have it customed to fit, or get the mouthpiece reciever replaced with a smaller standard size, either way I think I'll be spending quite a bit of money, but it will be worth it!

4. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    I just spent some time in one of the practice rooms (I'm at school) and this thing really rocks! The tone improvement is unbelievable!!

:lol: I couldn't have asked for anything more.

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I hope that it continues to work out for you. A word of caution - you may soon go through a spell where you don't like this mouthpiece at all - it won't feel, sound or respond "right". If this happens and you stick it out, you will be right back where you were during the honeymoon phase, only then it will be permanent.

I have always had an adaptation phase when it comes to trumpets and mouthpieces that lasts about a month or so. These days the process seems to go a little faster though, and I chalk that up to experience, and just being smarter about how I play the new equipment, and not forcing the issue if it doesn't immediately meet my expectations.

Good purchase - I hope to hear more good things about this setup in the future. :-)

6. Mr. Semman

Mr. Semman Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2005
    West Brookfield, MA
    Right you are, Patrick,

I purchased a Monet "knockoff" earlier this year. I loved the mpc at first, then the magic mysteriously disappeared. I switched back to my trusty Bach 3C, but that too had lost its ability to please me. I stuck with the Aegis, and now I can't part with it. I have the flexibility that I need, and the comfort for endurance.

Wish I had known this earlier, then I would not have been so anxious.

Gary

7. Tom_MacNiven

Tom_MacNiven Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    B6 club

Happy birthday to you!!! :-) I've been playing a B6 for about a year or so now and I think that only recently have I really got the best out of it so stick with it just like trickG so rightly says. Also if you haven't already done so check out the acclimation guide on the Monette website - there's lots of good stuff in there. Now, I'm getting a B6 Prana delivered in a couple of days so It's likely that I'll have to do some more adjusting but hopefully not too much as it'll be the same rim. Does anyone have experience of changing from non-prana to prana? I remember reading something along the same lines as this in Manny's forum a while back but couldn't find it when I looked for it the other day. :dontknow:

8. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    I had no acclimation time on the switch from a 3C to B6, the first acclimation i experienced was classic too Prana.

9. BPinard

BPinard Pianissimo User

Jun 14, 2005
    Setauket, NY
    Hopefully within the next week or so I'll post some clips of me playing some jazz tunes!

10. scottinvt

scottinvt New Friend

Jul 17, 2009
    Amazing! I just got back from driving to Boston to check out mouthpieces and lo and behold, I also fell in love with the B6. I said I was never going to get one because they were too expensive, but now I gotta have one. It felt more "fluid" when I played the first few notes and it only got better from there.
    I hit some high notes (high for be being D & Eb above C) that I shouldn't have been able to get without warming up and even then, usually hit or miss. My trumpet buddy came with me to listen, and he said it sounded best of the ones I tried (one was a Mancicewicz, not cheap either).
    Oh, and BTW, the repair guy who repaired my friend's horn also used a Monette. I tried a couple of other Monettes but the B6 sounded best.
    I would have bought it, except I gotta "sell" the wife on how I REALLY need to have this item, or I'll just have to commit suicide by holding my breath.
    Good luck with it, amigo; I'm envious.