My Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by reedy, Nov 30, 2011.

1. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Just thought I would share my story :)

So after bumming around uni for the last two years, thinking I was practising loads but never getting anywhere I realised I wasent practising right, or I would then I wouldnt. at the end of the summer I thought I would really nail some good practice and practiced every day, when I got back to uni my teacher was really quite impressed even though I never seem to play as well as I could in my lessons.

now with my army audition coming up I had a real target and have been practising pretty much none stop for the last 3-4 weeks!

I am doing the warm up from vizzuttis 1st book, then the long tones at mp the low ones, then the high ones, then his technical excursuses at mp

then im either doing collins lip slurs or the aurban scales, then the 2nd section of the aurban, where all the tounging trumpet like studies are

then im either doing lib bends and some of the range building stuff from the vizzutti or some or the causro book

and wow ive improved! I can really see the difference, I am playing with a much better tone, much better range and much better technically, im playing the studies out of the back of the aurban much much better

and yeah I do have the odd bad day, but the next days always better!

so there really is no short cuts, a new mouthpiece wont get you the range, or a new trumpet wont all of a sudden give you an amazing tripple tongue

the only way is to practice perfectly, perfect practice = perfect

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Good luck with the Army audition!

3. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Cheers Codyb, starting to think about what im gonna play, got 2nd mvt of haydn on back up, with nows the time transcription by charlie parker and thinking number 1 study out the aurban aswel

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I hope you make it, there some pretty intense players in those bands. I would love to do that, but I wont be able with what I want to do later.

5. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    Well here in the UK you sign up for a minimum of 4 years, if you dont like it you can come out after then, if not you can sign on for another 22, its a great life if you like it, if not its only 4 years.....

Ive seen some of the players in the British Army Bands, played with many of them and they are amazing, just spot on musicians! its where I wanna be when in a few years time! :)

6. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I played with the U.S. Air Force Academy Band in March of this year. It was amazing! You have to do 4 years here too, but most musicians stay in until they retire because they love it so much. That is one of the coolest jobs you could have with your trumpet.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The US bands use the Watkins/Farnum books and you sight read for the audition.

Many times the bands do not have the luxury of extended preparation.

8. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    If you are good enough you only need to sight read it and play it a couple more times to learn it good enough for a concert.