My Progress Thus Far...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Octiceps, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Hey TMers, you guys may remember my post about my frustrations dealing with an embouchure change and the fact that I almost decided to quit the instrument at one point. Well, things have looked up since then, and I have been seeing a new teacher who's really given me some good pointers. I can now play up to the D above tuning C without too much strain. That's almost an octave above the first line E I had a month and a half ago.

You may be thinking: How did this dumb kid gain almost an octave in a month and a half? He must be taking another shortcut or has developed another bad habit that temporarily aids range but is harmful in the long run. Well, let me tell you what I did, and it's quite simple really. One day, I was fiddling around on the horn and suddenly discovered that my tongue was receding into my throat as I went up the staff, completely choking off my air. By bringing my tongue up and out, I immediately gained better tone, endurance, and an increase in range. There was no need for me to use more mouthpiece pressure as my air was actually flowing through my oral cavity freely into the horn. Also, for the first time in a very long time, playing the trumpet felt effortless.

I'm not saying this will work for everyone, but it did for me. Take it with a grain of salt.

Here's a short video of me playing:

YouTube - The Godfather Theme Song on Trumpet

I know, there's a cracked note at the end. :lol: Feel free to leave any comments on how I can further improve.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nice video. Glad you didn't quit. It's good that you were able to sit down and figure out the problem on your own. A lot of players will try to "lock" the tip of the tongue on the bottom teeth. This gives you more control and better sound. Tongue placement is critical as you found out. If you can learn to arch your tongue as you increase your range, you can avoid the bad habit of excessive pressure. You have a really nice tone, so don't worry about the cracked note too much. We all do it from time to time. Keep it up and keep us in the loop. :thumbsup:

3. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    A thing I noticed which I noticed about myself aswell , is the moment when you breathe in and blow the note and you get some fuziness at the beginning. I believe it was @38 second mark - this is smth that's nothing catastrophical, but anywhere where you could improve, do it.

4. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    LOL that is exactly where I overshot the note and cracked it! Thanks for pointing that out. It's definitely something I can improve.

5. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks for the complements! :D

6. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    You sound like me at a month and a half, I think we all sound like this. I think I was beginning to get the "pressure demon" too and I think I have it under control now.

That Godfather theme is pretty cool. It's fun finding stuff that kinda wanders around and sounds good, within our range. Try Star Wars that's another good one.

7. SCV81

SCV81 Pianissimo User

Sep 10, 2010
    Bay Area, Northern Calif.
    good job!

8. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
    Yeah I get that too ..... it's not good. I've been trying to "pop" the beginnings of notes more.

Years ago I took some clarinet lessons, and the teacher I had (I could afford a teacher then) had me put my tongue ON the reed and "pop" it off to begin a note. he said that to me, it would sound like I'm "popping" the beginnings of notes too hard, but to the audience, it would sound just right. When I got that down, he said "There! That's a few years' bad habits prevented" apparently a lot of clarinet players take a few years to get that "pop" right if ever.

9. Alex_C

Alex_C Piano User

May 30, 2010
    Gilroy, California
  10. Octiceps

Octiceps Pianissimo User

May 5, 2010
    San Jose, CA