My Range (Serious Question)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Jan 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I'm only in the eighth grade, and just made third chair(no brag), WOO!!!! :play:
    But, should I be able to play the concert Ab scale both octaves? I can play the A above staff quite easily, but cannot hit the Bb. Should I have that high of a range? The highest note I've had in a song is an A above staff, and at the time I couldn't hit it. Now I can, which encourages me to play and practice a lot more.

So the basic question is: Is my range good enough for my age?

Thanks,
    Ian

2. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    I mean honestly it doesn't really matter how old you are, when I was in 8th grade I could hit C's over the staff consistently. If you think you are capable of hitting the note then just keep practicing chromatics until you can hit it comfortably whenever you want to.

3. Ian000450

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Ok. The first and second chairs can hit it pretty easily.

4. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    Wouldn't concert Ab be a F# on the horn...
    At any rate, my take is when the mind tells you a note is "high" or "outside of my range" then it is. Hear the tone and play it. As long as you're not shoving the mouthpiece down your throat or resorting to other embouchure destruction to play the note, you'll be fine.
    I like octave jumps to help get the pitch in my brain and can "hit" an F above the staff, which means I wouldn't freak out seeing a D above the staff in print. Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities book may help, also. Have fun with it and don't force it.

5. Ian000450

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    I'm pretty sure a concert Ab is a Bb on a Bb trumpet, if I'm correct.

6. missmybaby

missmybaby Pianissimo User

Sep 27, 2009
    Detroit Metro
    slysdexia! Good thing I never have to transpose...
    :duh:

7. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    And you would be right. Now in my case I barely a high C half way through my Sophmore year in high school. Now im a Junior and I have consistant E's above high C, that are pretty strong and im still pushing. Thats how I was. I was basically the 3rd or 4th worst in my section in my sophmore year I was pitiful. Then I got better in all catagories and this year I recieved the privalage of being our sections section leader. We were undefeated in two states and are the TN state champions. If that means anything to you all you have to do is work I mean thats what I did and it helped me achieve all I wanted. However in most aspects in our symphonic band high C is about as far as we go. Though one guy we work with takes his part in one piece up an octave so he's doing double A's sometimes, quite funny actually (**** gifted with range he is double C's and what not). Anyways just as a player who sucked and worked ill just say that some people are gifted with range, the rest of us have to work with what we have. Sometimes with age itll come, if you begin to get control of what you have now It will help you. I never believed that until I forced myself to and when you begin to have good control of what you have and you can bend notes flat or sharp, your range will take off then, and people will respect rather than just a kid who can wail a high note.

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you made third chair, you must be doing something right. Work on range, sure, but discover what that something is and let it grow.

Uhh, and yeah, it should be fun, this long strange trip.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    So the basic question is: Is my range good enough for my age?
    ---------------------
    yes.

10. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Doesnt matter. Is it good enough for you? I personally think that most people who have a high C achieve it freshman year. I always say to all my fellow trumpets "how you are right now is never good enough" I mean I have my areas in need of work, but if its not good enough for you work on it. I think your fine your better off than I was at your age, at my age im pretty good but nothing spectacular. theres my view its whatever you want as a player. If you wan more then go at it, however bit of advice get really good control of what you have at this moment then push ahead, if you can bend pitches and slur to your highest note consistantly and you work on that everytime you get a new high note I would say your doing good.