My Range (Serious Question)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Jan 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. erd402

erd402 Pianissimo User

Mar 21, 2009
    West Virginia
    When I was in 8th grade I was able to play up to around a Bb, then I got lazy and my range stayed around there but my tone when playing up there really suffered. Throughout 9th grade I made relatively no progress, and now in 10th grade I am starting to practice two hours a day and getting everything straightened back up and I have a usable range up to a high C. I would say you are definitely on the right track and if you stick on that track unlike I did you should definitely be in good shape later on.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Doesn't matter how old you are, if you are like most trumpet players, you will not be happy with your range. Stop thinking in those terms and focus on MUSIC. Play everything you can with as much expression and musical phrasing as you possess. Work on your breathing: it is the foundation of everything. Practice at ppp within the range you are comfortable and try to expand it, just a bit, at the extremes, both high and low, where you begin to falter.

Keep working on all the scales, on getting the rhythm right, on intonation, on tone quality; in short, there are many aspects to playing, and your skill set will never be complete as long as you are fixated with range. It will improve, mostly as a by-product of working hard on all that other stuff.

v

3. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    thanks for the advice. I need to start working on not pressing so hard, and am pressing on my parents to get me a private teacher.

4. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    If you can play the A above the staff easily, there's no reason you can't hit the Bb, even if the tone isn't as solid as for the A.

Have you tried getting to the A and then slurring up to the Bb?

5. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    no, I'll try it when I practice today

6. gasp1974

gasp1974 Piano User

Jan 27, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Ian you are doing well.
    When I was your age, in a tiny country called norway, I was a young poor boy who didn`t have access to great teachers and so on. There was just a few, but they wanted too much money for little poor me. I had to find my own way on how to increase range and endurance. Besides to play in the schoolband back then, (late 80`s), I was introdused to a tape by my conductor, we didn`t knew who this was, but never mind I loved to play along pushing myself to do the same thing as this trumpeter did. Then about 2 years later, I discovered Maynard Ferguson and it was the same music! oh lala. After playing with MF the first 2-3 motnths, I had increased my range from an A above staff to a strong high G (tinytinyDHC) :roll:
    It worked for ME in a way!

Still today I like to play along with MF and it`s just as fun now as it was back then.
    Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

7. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    ROFL:lol:ROFL:lol:ROFL Understatement of the year!!

8. gasp1974

gasp1974 Piano User

Jan 27, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    ........ U! :dontknow:, There was this one time in bandcamp....

jeg har vært liten en gang jeg òg :oops:

9. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Tenker ikke akkurat på fett når jeg tenker stor da..:-) Har jo sett bildene på fb..

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    hi, guys!

More important to me than how high you can play, is how you sound at the top of your range. I know people who can squeak out their top notes, but it sounds ghastly to me (a symphonic-type of player).

When I was a young player, I listened to Maurice Andre and other players like him, and played along with their recordings to the best of my ability. I also attemped to imitate or emulate their sound on the recordings. I reccommend the same sort of drill for you. Listen, listen LISTEN to the best players of your genre and try to imitate those you admire most. By playing along with my recordings, I developed my playing skills very rapidly and was the top player of my schools almost from the beginning.

Sound is far more important than range, I believe. Range will come with practice and muscle development. Sound is something you have to develop within your self.

Hope this helps!

Guy Clark
    South Bay Brass
    Silicon Valley Brass Band - A Traditional British Brass Band