My Range (Serious Question)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Ian000450, Jan 22, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Back in 7/8 grade I could play High c. There were no more notes on my chart and I didn't know there were more.:-( I was first chair and every time I warmed up the 2nd and 3rd chairs were jealous becuase I would hit those notes. I think for 8th grade trumpeters should be able to play the chromatic scale from low F sharp to a high C.

2. Jarrett

Jarrett Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Richland, MO
    Range is the byproduct of a well balanced efficient embouchure. Just continue practicing your fundamentals and worry more about your sound more than your range and the other stuff will fall into place.

3. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi, guys!

Listen to Jarrett!! He speaks the truth!!!

Guy Clark

4. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    I agree. :thumbsup:

5. Ian000450

Ian000450 Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2009
    Oklahoma, USA
    Today I focused on breath and embouchure and was hitting the Bb easily, and hitting a high C

6. rbdeli

rbdeli Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2009
    CO
    If it sounds too high in your mind, then you are not ready for it. Don't rush. Work on your low notes - I mean make them sound as big, fat and full as you can. Keep doing your scale and one day, soon, you will go up to the Ab very easily. That is how you develop range. Sounds boring, but it's true.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are a serious trumpet player, you NEVER have enough of anything regardless of age.

If you have to ask the question.................................. I may question your motives.

Be proud of what you have accomplished, for about 10 minutes, then find the next short term goal. THAT is how you get better. Dwelling on past or current success makes you really obnoxious to all of those around you. Continually working on the "next" goal make you a real pain - to the LAZY. I prefer the latter.

Good luck!

8. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805

X 3 ROFL
    I think you got your point accross ROFL

9. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    Keep working and if you can with a private teacher to keep you focussed on moving forward. If you do then range will be a byproduct of proper technique.

I could hit High C on the end of my first year in 6th grade. Took till sophomore year of high school to get a good E. Never any higher. Now I have been studying for a year with a great teacher after several years of coming back and E is solid again and I am now reaching F-G and have visited the double register (A and up to me) a few times too. No head rushes and everything is getting easier.

Proper technique begets range!!!