My range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Einar, Jan 19, 2010.

1. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Thats not true!

2. kuismat

kuismat New Friend

Mar 23, 2009
    Whoever is able to play melodies up to high C will probably hit high F or G.

But in order to learn to play melodies up to high C is it necessary to practice up to high G? What do you think?

3. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Read Al's post again. Where did he say anyone has to play above high C? He is only pointing out that hitting a note that doesn't mean it's in your usable range, and if you want it to be in your usable range you need more structured practice.

That makes perfect sense to me.

4. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    If you want to be a pro, you need to reach higher than high C! Orchestral players and lead players are often abowe that!

5. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    That's probably true today. Everyone expects the high brass to be screaming at 8va above the score. But I do agree with Frankmike about playing with beauty, interpretation, and precise articulation.

High range is great to have. I can curl my lips and play above the staff, up to and over double high C with ease, but I lose my range on and below the staff. So I practice with my normal set up and expand my range incrementally, concentrating on those elements that create beautiful music.

6. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Making beautiful music is also important! :-) But if you want to play first trumpet in a orchestra, you should be able to play from low F# to high F#. And even the easy In The Mood ends on a high D. But, I don't think one have to practice on the high register! It will come after good pracice routines, when the chops get stronger..:-)

7. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Well, I doubt I'll ever sit first chair in any orchestra. :)

But you're right. When I began playing back in the sixties a reliable high C was considered good range. Today it's average, commonplace. I hear the guys in Broadway pit orchestras playing in the stratosphere all the time. Even TV shows like Letterman and Leno have guys screaming up there every night.

I know audiences have come to expect it but I still think there is too much emphasis on playing above high C. The standards for range have certainly changed since the sixties. But I'll keep practicing and hopefully my range will continue to increase.

8. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    ¿ Even ? :?:

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think the correct answer is still "yes".

10. The Kraken

The Kraken Piano User

Mar 28, 2007
    Gold Coast - 805
    I'll second that YES !:thumbsup: