My range

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Einar, Jan 19, 2010.

1. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    "Even" as in widespread, commonplace, everywhere, ubiquitous.

IMO, Jon has it right in this post. Today, if you want to be a pro, you need at least a usable, reliable three octave range -- and in many cases much more.

I'm a comeback player. Prior to last summer I hadn't touched a horn in almost forty years. I'm certain I'll never play professionally but I'm having a great time playing again. My range is increasing incrementally and I'm really surprised and pleased at how easily my sight reading came back. In that respect, it's almost as if I never quit. I had the benefit of advanced level courses in music theory and harmony from excellent teachers to thank for that.

IMO, Al has it right too. If your goal is to practice all day then by all means keep jogging. If your goal is to increase range and endurance then you have to have a regimen focused on increasing range and endurance. Even distance runners have to sprint to the finish line.

2. ska

ska Pianissimo User

Sep 12, 2009
    Estonia
    The way I see it, HITTING a high note for a brief moment does not mean you have mastered it. Try holding a long tone with that note consistently. If you can manage that, I'm sure you'll have no problems.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    The only thing practicing for 2 hours straight does is tire your lip and encourage excessive pressure, and as far as playing only low ,even the Arban Book goes up to high C's ,or is it you don't need those exercises, theme and variations ,and characteristics studies. Trumpet playing isn't a foot race , it's about developing skills on the instrument ,and to say you don't need them all and that includes range will stunt your progress. If approached intelligently range development won't hinder or hurt any of your other trumpet playing skills, believe it or not a high C or C above the staff is not considered screaming or a high note, actually it's the text book range for trumpet, of course if you want to go beyond 2nd or 3rd chair in high school you will need more.

4. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    ¿ Even ? [​IMG]

The guys in the Leno and Letterman bands are by no stretch of the imagination widespread, commonplace, everywhere or ubiquitous.

5. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    Dude, I think you know I'm not referring to specific players like Lee Thornburg, Kye Palmer, or Mark Pender. I'm referring to players everywhere screaming high notes to the point where it's become what audiences expect.

Last night I watched the final show of that train wreck Conan O'Brien made out of "The Tonight Show" and Pender was screeching a seemingly endless string double high C's. Very impressive and it got the crowd all fired up. But did it sound good? That's a matter of opinion.

Trumpet playing has becoming a high note contest. You don't see that on other instruments like piano or guitar because all the notes are right there under your fingers and all it takes to play them is striking a piano key or fingering a string at a certain fret. But with the trumpet it's a matter of playing up there just because it can be done. And those that can do it do it everywhere and every time they can. It's become widespread, commonplace, ubiquitous.

It's akin to going to the opera and having a coloratura soprano sing nothing but the top of her range. Or a pianist playing only the right-most keys. Or a guitarist only playing the high E string above the 12th fret. It's getting out of hand.

That's just my opinion. I'm not looking to get into a pi$$ing contest over high notes and high note players. But if you feel it's necessary to do so, for whatever reason, please feel free to continue.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  6. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    I don't know what you meant. I know what you wrote.

However, thanks for the clarification.

7. bobd0

bobd0 Piano User

Jan 10, 2009
    You know what they say;

;-)

8. watchguy44

watchguy44 Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2010
    Illinois
    So true, so true.

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    I, too, have very recently learned the difference between "hit" versus "play". I can control harmonic slurs up to high D but playing a song or etude with a G or A is indeed very difficult. The recommendation by my teacher was to start to play music with more notes above the stave and learn how to do it.

BrotherBACH

10. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    If I may weigh in, the OP was asking if it was normal to be able to practise to a higher not than you can play in a performance. The answer is often yes.

In practicing exercises you are focusing on technique, breathing, lip, tongue etc. In a piece your focus switches to if nothing else getting the notes right, then perhaps style, and if you are with a group there are nerves, presure and if you add performance pressure to that the extra tightness will almost certainly kill your range to some extent. Add in to the recipe we often perform in a group sat down where we practice stood up and there is another variable in the mix