My search for the Holy Grail may be over.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mike ansberry, Apr 14, 2013.

1. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Last night I played my first gig since lung surgery. Two 90 minute sets of funk. I was afraid I'd run out of gas pretty quick. I'm in decent shape, but practicing into decent shape and actually playing the gig can be two different things. It went pretty well. I had plenty of stamina. It was a little chippy on some of the new tunes in the book that I was sight reading, but not bad.

I played my "new" 1947 Olds Super. WOW!!!. I've been loving it in the practice room, but on the gig it is easily the best horn I've ever played. For some reason it is less work to play. Has a beautiful, huge sound. I could knock the back wall out with F#s. The search may be over. Possibly, I'll be selling some horns in the near future.

2. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Welcome to the club. My '42 Super is my first call axe for big band, commercial, jazz, works everywhere. It's a very special instrument, like pre-war Bessons are special, and early Elkhart Bachs, and and early King Libs, and '40s Committees. Life's too short!

ed

3. Sidekick

Sidekick Mezzo Piano User

Apr 14, 2011
    London UK
    Mike,

Glad that you are back in the game again and blowing strong. Whilst not as old as yours, my '51 Super is my preferred instrument too. Whilst I am a long way from being a professional player it will sing, even for me.

Mind you I am holding on to a couple of others for the moment...just in case.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    glad you found your true love -- bout time isn't it?? ROFL ROFL ROFL

5. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    And got another coming this week. The ad said "parts" but it looked pretty whole to me!

6. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Aw shucks!!! For a second there I thought you'd found a 28B Concert Grand. Glad to hear you're back up and running.