My section hates me?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BowmaninBb, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    The best truth I have heard in a loooong time.

2. duderubble

duderubble Piano User

Oct 21, 2011
    Eleanor Roosevelt I believe.

3. LyzaZ

LyzaZ New Friend

Nov 10, 2007
    Olathe, KS
    I had the exact same problem when I was in school. If you're better than the other kids they don't want to practice to beat you- they'll just be mean to beat you. But don't let them do that! It's okay to stand up for yourself and even tell your band director if it gets out of hand. I'm female, and when the guys in the trumpet section started saying sexually-assaulting things to me, I told my band director and he gave them a proper thumping. Eventually, everyone in the band came to appreciate my talent and like me because I stayed true to myself and got super good. Trust me, by the time you're a senior you'll be the coolest kid in school.
    For now, ignore them but use their pushing to push you up, not over.

Vulgano Brother likes this.
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I empathize with you ---- I'm old (49) like most of these guys that answered. I've been in a community band for 3 years, sitting in 3rd chair --- NEVER playing in warmups higher than the F on top of staff. So (even though I double on trombone for parades) - I am just another person. Till several weeks ago, a substitute band director -- asked us trumpet players to play a G (the octave above the one sitting on the staff) -- for the last note of a song. NOW me, directly after practice ---you know I had to try ---- and a few weeks ago, all I could get after a 2 hour practice was the stupid F (1 octave above the top line on the staff F) --- I tried a few times, but only the F. NOW -- a few weeks later -- I get the same treatment as you!!!! --- the Lead player says after practice this week - "I didn't hear the High G on that last note) --- primarily cause the song is near the end of the program, and the High G is not always a guarantee when I am tired. ----- Another guy said "well, I didn't hear much" --------------------------------------------------------------------- so, yeah -- because of 1 day after practice -- I hit a few notes higher than the others in my section can play ----- THEY NOW MOCK ME for NOT hitting the High G ------------------------------ and were all supposed to be adults ------------------ JEALOUSY has no age limitations ----------------------------------------- just be yourself, practice, play the notes in band, and be happy -------- (((( I hope they lay off me though, or that in 2 weeks I can snap a High G at triple Forte at the end of a 2 hour program ---------------- neither one is likely, is it??))))) play and be happy, don't brag, don't show off --- you don't need to ---- the people know what they hear ---------------------they are jealous --

5. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    Heresy! That's where all the cute girls are!

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Turn up early for rehearsal - sit in the 2nd or 3rd chair, and when they query it just say, "I thought I'd give you obviously fine players a go too" - mind you, you may have to stay there for a bit, but it may open a space for negotiation and a sharing of the limelight - they are trumpeteers after all.

7. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've been in my community band 8 months now. I warm up and play as high as I can, usually high G or Ab / A. I play the 3rd part which often mimicks the 1st part only 8vb. I ask the section leader if I can play my part 8va, he looks at me and smiles and says, "If it's clean,GO FOR IT "! Since I practice and can nail the part, and I don't tell them I should be playing 1st, I have been asked to do more solo type work. I just play and let my playing speak for itself. KT, only 5th line F in warmup? I think doubling has messed up your trumpet ego / mojo. Even the last chair 3rd squeaks out a high C in warmups! ROFLROFLROFL :)roll:)

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    I don't know, Ted. There was once a baseball player named Wally Pipp.....never heard of him? Well he was the first baseman for the Yankees who had a headache one day, asked the manager for 2 aspirins and Miller Huggins told him to take the game off, and another young player stepped up. His name was Lou Gehrig, and he then proceeded to play 2130 games in a row without missing one day. That's over 15 straight seasons......so, just saying it might be a bit of a wait or maybe not such a good move for a high schooler with only 4 years to work on the plan.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  9. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I wouldn't give up anything I had earned. Wally Pip? Yeah Big Dub, you're right, never heard of him.

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Ummm.... You might want to look over toward the flute section.