My section hates me?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BowmaninBb, Apr 9, 2014.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Paying the bar is what he.may have meant! ;-)

2. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Bigdub,
    You stated:
    "The best thing to do is warm up as poorly as possible."
    ---
    Some (many) have said that my warm up is wrong. Here's what I do. I'll either play about half of a song and then sit the horn down for about 5 minutes and then start. If I don't have a song in front of me, I play a scale or two, play some peddle tones and then some hot compressed MF notes F, G,DHC, and then sit the horn down for about 5 minutes and then start.
    Yep, it defies explaination but that's how I've done it for decades and it works for me.
    The key? play just a little and then sit the horn down for about 5 min.
    Dr.Mark

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Great advice Dr. Mark -- if I have the time it makes the slur from the High G to the High B a certainty on "fresh or rested" lips --- at the end of a 2 hr practice --- not working so well ROFL --- shouldn't we explain for all the Newbie Comebackers and Especially the high school kids that high notes are NOT IMPORTANT at that stage? --- like the OP, when your in high school, being liked and accepted is important

4. ricecakes230

ricecakes230 Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2013
    Texas
    Hey man, I'm 15, only a freshman 1st chair and I smoked 2 juniors, 2 seniors, and 2 other pretty decent freshman. My section doesn't hate me but the junior next to me does. It's OBVIOUSLY jealousy. Don't let it get to you, keep playing because you love it and and don't stop because some people are poking at you. My best tactic is to just smile and let the horn do the talking. If things do get out of hand, do seek the directors. Good luck.

-Much love

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Either that or love. During this time in our lives, pent up emotions may be more of the inability to express love as it is jealousy, which if you think about it, makes ya feel jea lousy!

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Kingtrumpet!
    You stated:
    "shouldn't we explain for all the Newbie Comebackers and Especially the high school kids that high notes are NOT IMPORTANT at that stage?
    ---
    Whew, I just don't know. I guess it depends. I was screaming note for note leads on Maynard Ferguson charts such as Give it One, Hey Jude, Stoney End, Mac Park, Teonova, ect. when I was 16.
    Plus, the best way to get a kid to do something is to tell them to not do it. Did I lack some of the other skills when I was peeling the paint off the back wall? yes, especially soft sensitive emotive playing but I have conquered that. Do I have more to learn? Oh my yes!! I want to sound like Mendez when I grow up.
    Dr.Mark

7. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    Bad news for you Dr. Mark. You play trumpet, you'll never grow up.:cool:

8. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Rapier,
    You stated:
    "Bad news for you Dr. Mark. You play trumpet, you'll never grow up."
    ---
    Man that's great!! I've seen what adulthood does to a person and it's just too frightening to think about.
    I love it when young people defiantly say "I just can't wait to grow up"
    Let's think for just a moment:
    A person under 18 (of legal minority) are for the most part are free of the ravages of power, politics, finance and the courts.
    It's amazing but a person under 18 has MORE room to make mistakes than those over 18. Just damned, when we hit 18, a lot of responsibility is suddenly required and things become more serious. That's why I say our courts of law need a mechanism called a "Do over". Regardless of the age, everybody can use a do over from time to time.
    Dr.Mark

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Maybe not - but Dr. Mark could always put on some baggy pants and a Hawaiian shirt for gigs -- of course people might say he's childish and impersonating a Doctor. ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Dr.Mark is the real thing. All the physicians on this site are the real deal and post our comments with the hope that the TM community appreciates the seriousness of our contribution. We can also be a light heart-ed lo; hence, my choice to wear baggy pants and a Hawaiian shirt for outdoor gigs in the middle of summer at a community park, yes?