My section hates me?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BowmaninBb, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Gman,
    Unfortunately, when I dress that way I get mugged cause I look like a tourist. My present attire allows me to look like a good and upstanding citizen and God knows I need all the help I can get in that department. Well, time to practice my horn until sleep gets in the way. Did you get a chance to listen to the CD?
    Dr.Mark

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Don't get so teste my friend --- you and Dr. Mark keep narrowing it down for me --- any day now, my investigatory prowess will have a definitive answer on who Dr. Mark is (((oh, not to worry Dr. Mark - this is only for my education, and narrowing down YOUR sound on "Midnight in Tuscany" )) --- you will remain "anonymous" ------- it's all about SOUND to me --- I don't want to sound like you, I just want MY SOUND to be better ----- just friendly competition that's all ROFL ROFL ROFL

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    And we can allow GM to continue to dress comfortably for gigs --- there is no need for you OTHER PEEPS to continually harass GM about his baggy pants and audacious Hawaiian shirts ----- you PEEPS need to start being nice to him

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It isn't so much the Hawaiian shirt and baggy pants, but rather the tattoos!

[​IMG]

Nobody is going to mess with a first-chair that looks like that!

5. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi kingtrumpet,
    In your post there's a statement:
    "Dr.Mark is the real thing. All the physicians on this site are the real deal"
    ----
    I'm a lot of things including a doctor but I'm not a physician(but I have played one on TV).
    As for my sound? I'm a big proponent of the personal sound. It needs to be intimate, identifiable and possess the ability to tug at a person's ear. It's all about saying something to someone and making it mean something. Once that is understood, a missed note is a forgivable crime when weighed against the overall work.
    Miles said: "It takes a long time to become yourself" and for me, that statement holds true.
    Hope this helps
    Dr.Mark

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes GM acknowledged your a Doctor (or have a Doctorate degree in something) - which is awesome cause education is a lifelong pursuit. In keeping with the post - I'm certain (as a trumpet player) - I want what the OP and many people want. To be acknowledged by our peers, to be accepted by them and perhaps get the "pat on the back" - the positive reinforcement that we are doing something right on the trumpet, something good, at whatever level we are at.
    I will be attending an upcoming gig of GM's - and in all reality I'm not quite up to the level of his performances in nuance or endurance. However, I hope my chops/mind/and body are in working order that night - I hope at least for a few moments to play a quick duet, or such with Gary --- NOT to prove anything to him, but rather to Get Some Decent Sound out of the horn, something that stirs inside the emotion and the musical reverberations of the sound I have - perhaps not just for GM, but for one or more of his exceptional members of the quintet - they are all wonderful musicians, but if for a moment in time their hearts are stirred by a few notes out of my horn --- that to me is a successful trip. (Yeah I want to nail a few high notes also - a high G, A, B or such just for icing on the cake ' that KT IS FOR REAL also )

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I have a very close mate who is a Maori and once, when confronted by a tattooed thug, responded inappropriately by suggesting plainly that this big bloke was a bit 'girly', my mate is about 5'8" and slim and fit. A little verbal intercourse followed and the big bloke was floored by my mate's Maori logic - "If you want to show how tough you are, do like the old people do and get all your tatts redone - but not with an alcohol wipe and a needle, but with the sharp edge of a shell and then coloured by rubbed-in vegetable die". The big bloke had nothing more to say and we were allowed to finish our beers in perfect peace.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    I'm and aircraft maintenance engineer and one of the few things different about me and a surgeon is that I wash-up AFTER the job is complete.

9. flugelgirl

flugelgirl Forte User

Jan 20, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I may not be a Maori, but no one messes with me, either! Only a few are visible in this photo - let's just say I dress very carefully for church gigs!

[​IMG]

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Flugelgirl rocks --- and I can't imaging anyone could, or would hate you --- then again (depending on temperament) is it sometime NOT WISE to say anything, but NICE things about (OR ESPECIALLY TO) young ladies!!! :) ---- of course, I learned my lesson young, and have not had to wear the RED handprint on my face since my high school days ROFL ROFL ROFL ((but she was a redhead)) ROFL