My shedding plan... Yea practice!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ltg_trumpet, Feb 13, 2009.

1. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    heres the thing... for me, to be productive i MUST have a routine... my current routine is ok i guess if you factor in school, i practice a good 2 1/2 hours in one day just at school, and i practice some minor things at home like solos and school peices... i do warm ups at school, i guess technically speeking im already doing three hours of practice a day, but, im trying to figure out a plan that will make me stronger than the other students, and for me, a plan means "a PLAN"
    if this is gonna be my future, i need to do something to get there, and right now im trying to figure that out.
    currently im doing one hours sessions every other week with a private lessons teacher... i havent gotten a chance to show him my sched but i think i will.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you have somebody as a teacher, but don't trust them to help make the decision about what is good, why do you ask on the internet from people that have never heard you play?

Seriously, if one of my students went to the internet first, I'd be pretty mad. Relationships are built on respect, trust and student/teacher relationships should be clear about why someone is the "teacher" and the other "student". I can understand getting as much info as possible but this is really bass ackwards. Before you go further on this, you need to review your motivation. The teacher has the first hand experience with YOUR playing. That has to be worth something.

3. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    rowuk... i just started with him first off and secondly... i dont think im gonna be able to stay with him... i see him on thursdays so... my parents are having some unexpected fees... so... he doesnt know me that well... i dont know i fail...:shhh:

4. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    First off, it's great you want to work hard. You're certainly no failure. The key to progress is not so much in how much you practice, it's in how well you practice. How long will you spend on a lick that you cannot figure out very easily. I know that, for myself, I used to spend a whole hour sometimes trying some stupid lick and ending up just wiping my face out. Then, I took Jens Lindemann's advice and bought an egg timer. Now I spend 10 minutes on some aspect of playing, whether it's a fundamental technique, a lick, or whatever. After the beeper goes off, I move on. Maybe I come back later, or maybe I come back another day. Either way, this kind of practice is efficient, and I can see everything slowly progressing. It takes patience to practice well, but if you're focused, you don't need to worry about squeezing every extra hour possible. Once you reach that point of fatigue, you usually start to digress. On another note, we all know and love Sergei Nakariakov's playing, right? Well, I heard from Jens himself that Sergei puts in three hours of practice a day. I thought, "WHAT?" Someone that good has to practice minimum seven hours a day. Then I realized that Sergei practices very carefully and focusedly (if that's a word). If we all took that approach, it would be amazing to see what kind of progress we could make. Also, you have to do more than practice. Read about trumpet, listen to trumpet, practice ear training, etc. It all goes with being a great musician.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Back in the day when I was putting in about 7 hours a day, my schedule looked like the following:
    1. Charles Butler Routine. I got this at one of his clinics when he was principal in Seattle, and don't know if he has published it or not. Basically flow studies with some scales thrown in. It gets the air moving, and if practiced at the beginning of the day keeps one from getting tired the rest of the day.
    2. Total Range by Charles Peters. All the good stuff from Double High C in 37 Weeks by Roger Spaulding without the hype.
    3. Arban's Double and Triple tonguing exercises until exhaustion.
    4. Music. Quintet pieces, stuff from the next solo and/or orchestra concert.

I did this for about a year. On the day of gigs, I'd just do the Butler Routine and be fresh.

If you are of an obsessive/compulsive bent, this kind of intense practice can/will pay off if judicious (I had a Masters in Brass Pedagogy, so could monitor myself well) and knowing when to rest/quit.

The cheap Vulgani version of the above?

Learn your scales, learn to multiple tongue, learn your lip slurs and make music. Plenty of trumpeters have mastered this in 1.5 hours a day.

Try 40 minutes on, 20 minutes break. (Union rules)

Good luck, and have fun!

6. ltg_trumpet

Jan 21, 2009
    all right, so after a couple days of my plan, ive simplified it down so that im not trying to kill time, cuz ive learned that when you try to kill time you kill your chops. ive cut it down to an hour and a half, made a section for school pieces, and picked some better excersises, the slurs in the arban ive found are GREAT for warming up and i take some extra time for them. thanks for all you help guys, i think im gonna start making leaps towards being a better trumpet player.

7. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    That's great, go for it.